skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile Photo
    livelovelaugh
    Participant

Hi! I’ve been to different therapists (X Jewish, Jewish religious and X religious) over quite some years. Recently a single female asked me if it’s normal to get asked by therapist about masturbation. The therapist says it’s part of the client intake at the 1st session.

I’m asking this here, because I’ve never been asked this and do feel it’s somewhat awkward..

Anonymous

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

I would definitely be wary.

Hi livelovelaugh,

The question can be a standard intake/assessment question however for regular therapy (meaning not sex therapy), it wouldn’t necessarily be the first question asked in a first session, especially because it is something considered taboo not just in the religious world but in the secular world too.

It’s possible this therapist was asking to determine where the client is at from a sexual health perspective.  And the question is certainly standard for sex therapy.  I can see though why your friend felt uncomfortable by the question and ultimately if her intuition is telling her there is something off, she should trust her gut.

Profile Photo
    melissa
    Participant

I just want to mention that when I first started therapy I was asked similar questions by a therapist during intake, which I just chalked up as part of a regular intake, but that therapist turned out to be a very unqualified (not on paper, but behind closed doors) therapist. I would be wary about something like this, and try to do some research on the therapist before continuing.

Of course, there are exceptions. But if a single girl who is coming in for total different issues (I assume) and the therapist (who I assume is religious) is the one to broach the topic of masturbation during the intake. Something is off.

Profile Photo
    livelovelaugh
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to melissa's post #14140:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems like a very similar scenario. She went for general therapy to a religious therapist. The sexual questions definitely raises a red flag; to be asked if she has feelings towards females, masturbation, and shown a gynecological diagram in case she doesn’t know etc.. and more.

This therapist is fully qualified but seems to be a sex therapist or with issues of her own.. that’s my personal opinion. This topic is personal and should always be treated with sensitivity and boundaries; NOT the ordinary intake.

Hi livelovelaugh again,

Based on the new details you just shared, I have some additional thoughts.

I think to do all that in a first session, when the client is not going for sex therapy and the presenting issue is not sexual in natural then the timing of these questions along with unsolicited psychosexual education sound like red flags to me.

To use your words, this topic is a very personal one and deserves to be handled in a delicate, boundaried, and ethical manner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!