skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile Photo
    anonymousp
    Participant

Hi.

I take medications for anxiety and for depression, as well as a mood stabilizer.

1) I’m doing well with them, so how do I know when I’m ready to wean off of a medication?

2) No one knows about my medications except my therapist and my psychiatrist. I have a friend who knows everything about me and I haven’t even told her. I’m scared. I don’t want to be… How do I get over the stigmas?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

This is such a good question, @anonymousp!

I would ask my psychiatrist when he/she thinks I’m ready to wean off of them.

As far as the stigma part, I totally understand. At the same time, I wonder if you could look at it as a “helper” and giving your brain the chemicals it needs to be more balanced. Just like someone uses insulin for diabetes, we take medication to help balance the brain. There’s nothing wrong with you or anyone else that takes psychiatric medication. Unfortunately, though, the stigma as you mentioned makes it harder to see that objectively.

I hope that helps!

Hi. I take medications for anxiety and for depression, as well as a mood stabilizer. 1) I’m doing well with them, so how do I know when I’m ready to wean off of a medication? 2) No one knows about my medications except my therapist and my psychiatrist. I have a friend who knows everything about me and I haven’t even told her. I’m scared. I don’t want to be… How do I get over the stigmas?

Hi anonymousp,

I want to start by saying that your getting help for yourself despite the stigma being so real for you is a sign of huge strength, and I’m so inspired by it.

Your questions are about how to wean off your medicine and how to open-up about the fact that you went on them in the first place. I am wondering if you are as inspired as I am by your going on medication in the face of discomfort and stigma, or if you are having trouble loving and accepting yourself?

I would suggest tapping into your inner strength to connect with your inherent worth and value which will help you embrace your imperfections with compassion and acceptance. Can you find compassion for yourself and feel proud that you are seeking wholesomeness however uncomfortable that may be?

When you get there you’ll find the answers to your questions!

I’m rooting for you!

Hi Anonymous, kudos to you for taking care of yourself & prioritizing your health and wellbeing over “stigma”

I’ve seen that the more comfy someone is with whatvr it is they’re avoiding sharing the more at ease the one they’re telling it to will be when the info is shared.

This is not a small matter and care needs to be used when sharing, and at the same time if there’ someone you’ve felt comfy with in the past with the ‘big’ stuff you can trust your inner wise-mind when sharing this as well.

As always, before making changes – consult with a dr!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!