skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

First ACKNOWLEDGE that they feel worried/afraid/etc. The feeling is real. They need you to connect with that before they can get past it. (Have a few anxious kids. I find this is the first step to getting anywhere when they’re triggered)

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12771:

Why are you still talking to that person??

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Don’t say- don’t worry about it, you’re being irrational.

Do say- I’m here with you for whatever you’re feeling and I’m always ready to help.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

What I have found unhelpful in the past:
    – someone saying in an annoyed tone “You have to calm down. I can’t help when you’re like this (in the middle of a panic attack). You’re breathing/ crying too hard and I can’t understand what you’re saying”
    – if I’m on the phone and getting calmer and then the other person saying ok well I was going to work on my homework (or other personal task) and I don’t have time anymore but it’s fine.
    If you don’t have time, don’t help. But don’t take the time to help and then make the anxious person feel guilty about them taking up your time.
    Also let them hang up first. Don’t give off the impression that you’re too busy and have to go. Let them decide when they’re ok to be on their own.
    Other things that help
    – reminding me that I’m safe
    – telling me to focus only on their voice
    – saying I’m here for you as long as you need
    – telling me that it’ll all be ok in the end
    – even just sitting on the phone in silence with me while I cry or rant. Just listen. You don’t have to do anything. And if both of us are silent that’s ok too. Sometimes it’s helpful just knowing someone else is there even if you’re not directly talking. It may not sound useful or feel like a waste of time but I do find it quite helpful because sometimes there is nothing you can say to make it better. You just have to listen

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Jokes aside, sometimes people think of responding with logic; for example, trying to explain to the anxious person why the situation is not actually as bad as it might seem (if their anxiety is about something specific). The problem with that is that anxiety is often illogical and the anxious person may even know that. So all you can do is be with them while they ride it out

Sorry I can only offer what not to say

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12783:

My parents and my brothers always say it’s not about you calm down you’re exaggerating it didn’t really happen those are really hurtful words and you can never take them back I wish they would understand the pain and go forward

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12785:

It honestly feels so comforting to know I’m not alone in struggling to get support from others around me. I understand it’s difficult to sympathize when you’ve never experienced mental health difficulties. I really like knowing I have this forum because I’m not alone

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12779:

So on target

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Maybe ask them at a good calm time what would they like you to do

Just validating is nice… but will it really help them grown…

So depends on your relationship with them
    To you just want to be nice
    Or to really help them
    Also depends of they are ready to be helped

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

The mindset goes a long way, when you try your best to approach them with an attitude of being supportive, caring, accepting and non judging, they will feel safer trusting you and opening up to you which makes for better communication
    So nice that you asked this question, it shows you want to be supportive, and thats beautiful youre on the right track!

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!