skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

What to say and not to say to someone with anxiety?

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Minimizing someone’s fears won’t make them calm, it can do the opposite as they feel even more unsafe. When someone validates, just sees them and accepts them for their fears and insecurities, it can further help their growth. Someone else can’t do their inner work but they can help and not hinder their growth.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Never tell them that they are being dramatic or that it’s all in their head. That is very hurtful to someone with anxiety bc you are basically telling them that they are overdramatic and just looking for attention.
    Instead try something like “you are so strong going through every day even when you have a tornado in your head”. The kinds of things people can be anxious from are endless but the best thing you can do is show love support and acceptance. (Really that goes for any person that crosses paths with you)

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Never try to minimize what they’re going thru. Anxiety is a painful process and can seem like there’s no end. Never tell someone that they’re overreacting or being dramatic. It can be extremely painful!!!

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Don’t say:
    Just get over it, it’s always the same reason 🙄 I try helping you but nothing ever helps
    (Bc it may seem that it didn’t help towards the person that is helping you, but deep down it keeps me feeling those things and words you have said and sometimes it does help) and don’t say: I feel it too.
    Bc no that is NOT true.

Do say:
    Im here for you – and actually prove it.

And idk what else
    Hope this helped you

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12760:

Loveeeee

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12761:

Yes. The top part is so true
    Someone tells me that like everyday and it just makes things worse 🥺

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I learned a trick with anxiety that doesn’t even need talking 🙂 People mirror other people’s breathing. When someone in anxious and you take a deep breath, they almost always mirror that breath, and it helps them calm their mind without even realizing it. You don’t need to say ‘mirror my breath’ or ‘let’s take a deep breath.’ Just do it, and they mirror. I’ve seen it work really well with teens who have anxiety.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Never say “just calm down there’s no reason to be anxious” it does way more damage then you can begin to understand, because then the person starts mentally beating themselves up for their emotion.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Wow thats so cool!! Thank you for sharing!!

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I totally agree with this! Another thing is, saying “dont think about it” or saying other things that invalidate a persons thoughts, are least helpful.
    Instead, validation, showing understanding for the way the person feels, and also maybe suggesting healthy tools/techniques/resources to help them destress can be super helpful. (Obviously, what works for one person, may not work for another, but its still a way to show care and support). Additionally, simply lending a listening ear can also be really helpful. Especially if a person is going through a hard time and is struggling with a lot.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Not about what you say but I personally found that nature’s calm from nutri supreme helped me better than medication. BH.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Tell them “It’s ok and normal to feel anxious”.

I say this often to myself, when I have anxiety/feel anxious.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #12772:

Love this

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I had a friend with some extreme mental health issues and I only realized after some time. I would say that it was detrimental for me to be in a position where I would always be expected to calm her down when she was anxious or when she was panicking. Let him/her know that you’re there for them, but make sure to look after yourself first and if you feel that it’s too much for you to handle, refer her/him to someone who can actually help, and establish clear boundaries.

–Anonymous WhatsApper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!