skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to find a book that’s about Torah and mental health – mental health in general. If there’s no such book, then I would be open to reading anything on self-improvement (Torah based) but that’s written with an open mind, meaning, not black and white. Like a book that I can grow from, grow closer to Hashem (god) in.

For example, the book “Are you Connecting” by Boruch Leff, really speaks to me, but I read it already.

I’d love to hear what suggestions people have!

Hi Chavy,

One book I really enjoyed was “Torah Therapy”, by Rabbi Elimelech Lamdan. I believe you should be able to get it in most Judaica stores.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to chayasatt's post #8251:

Thank you! I will look into it. I’d love to hear more options/suggestions from others so I have more to choose from (in case the above book doesn’t work for me).

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

So I got a chance to look at the book (Torah Therapy), but I didn’t love it. It didn’t resonate with me so much. I would really like a book that’s warm and validating about Torah. A book that talks about developing a connection with Hashem (Gd) in a warm way. Not a book that has formulas/guidelines to follow. Any other ideas?

Hi Chavy, there are many incredible books relevant to the relationship between Judaism and Psychology/Mental Health out there, but I have found that they are usually related to more specific concepts/topics rather than the broader relationship between Torah and Psychology (i.e. self-awareness, healthy relationships, self-esteem, etc.).

Before offering some suggestions, are you looking for books on how Torah principles and building a close relationship with God can lead to more emotional well-being, or more the other way around- how psychological ideas can be used in one’s religious life? Fortunately, there is a lot out there on both!

A couple suggestions to start with:

Dr. Miriam Adahan’s book “Awareness” explores how identifying our own unique personality/temperament can be helpful both religiously and emotionally.

Dr. Ben Epstein’s book “Living in the Presence: A Jewish Mindfulness Guide for Everyday Life” draws upon Torah ideas/concept together with mindfulness to suggest ways of promoting greater psychological well-being

Rabbi Zelig Pliskin’s book “Gateway to Happiness” is a classic on Torah and emotional growth (and similarly Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski’s book “Twerski on Spirituality”)

Sara Yosef’s book “It’s all in your Mind” combines Torah ideas with psychology to challenge unhealthy thought patterns

Feel free to send over some specific topics you are interested in for more suggestions 🙂 Good luck on your search!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi,

Thank you for your in-depth response. I’m looking to connect to Hashem in a meaningful way. A book that validates the psychological aspect of connecting to Hashem. Meaning, a book that you feel drawn to and warmed by and want to connect to Hashem. Not a book that it cut and dry.

Dr. Epstein’s book sounds really good.  I will look into  it 🙂 I did read some of Sara Yosef’s book, but I didn’t find it so helpful. Similarly, Rabbi Zelig Pliskin’s books are good, but I would appreciate something that is a bit deeper and warm. I know I’m probably sounding very picky, but I really need to connect and like what I’m reading to enjoy it.

Thank you again!!

Profile Photo
    YiddishImma
    Participant

Hi Chavy,

I immensely enjoy the book “ask and it is given” from Abraham Hicks! I know you asked for torah/jewish books, this one is from a none jewish auther. However, it was channelled, meaning written in a state of meditation. Very in line with all we hold true and recommended by many jewish, heimish leaders. It is not for everyone. It is for rather deep, thinking people. Your question and persistance on the connection aspect make you seem to be fit.

Much Hatzlucha and syata dishmaya!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to YiddishImma's post #8341:

First, welcome to the forum! And thank you for your recommendation and kind words.  I will definitely check it out.

Profile Photo
    Wandering Jew
    Participant

I just a whole bunch of books on this subject in Hamafitz in Crown Heights.

Please remind me on Tuesday, and I will go there and write a list for you, bli neder.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Wandering Jew's post #8817:

That’s really nice of you. Just curious, are they Lubabitche books? Because I prefer to read ones that aren’t.

Thank you so much.

Profile Photo
    Wandering Jew
    Participant

No they are not, to my knowledge.

Most of them are put out by Mosaica Press, which has no Lubavitch affiliation that I am aware of.

Check them out online; you can see all the titles there.

The one that I am currently reading is called: “It’s Within You”, by Rabbi Aryeh Weinstein and Ilene S Cohen, Ph.D.

Much Luck!!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Wandering Jew's post #8824:

That sounds good. So I’ll send a reminder via posting to share the books you saw.

Profile Photo
    MoisheChanin
    Participant

Handbook of Torah and Mental Health

Saul Haimoff

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to MoisheChanin's post #8832:

Yes, I actually just bought it! I’m so glad that they (finally!) came out with a book on Torah sources.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

I would also be interested in what books @wandering jew knows of.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!