skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

Hi. I have a lot of self doubt so I wanted to get some clarity on this.
    I started therapy a few months ago. Before each session, I get super nervous. (probably because of my general anxiety) once I’m there, I’m really relieved and I feel totally comfortable. But is it normal to feel nervous before the session? Also, I really like my therapist. She’s really sweet and I feel very comfortable around her. Is it normal that after the session I want to go back and I look forward to it every week? Of course there are times where I’m not in the mood and I really dread it, but most of the time I enjoy it. I just wanted to get some clarity on this. I might sound contradictory but it’s because I like it and at the same time it’s exhausting. I just doubt it a lot and I just want to make sure it’s ok.

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant
    Topic Author

thank you!!

Profile Photo
    melissa
    Participant

I know that your question was already addressed, but from a client’s point of view, I wanted to share that the combination of the therapy meaning so very much and the anxiety around therapy is something I have too.

And in my case, I actually think it’s related.

It’s because I assign so much weight to this session, and because I need the therapist — and have been wired not to need, and because there’s a major push and pull (my tendency to avoid, and yet part of me wants to connect, and likes her) that I think is largely behind my pre-session anxiety.

(I can’t say I’m relaxed in session, though I’ve come a really long way, so that, in my case, is different.)

Another thing is that things I’ve been avoiding come up in session, so anxiety makes a lot of sense.

Profile Photo
    if-the-stars-align
    Participant

I relate – I’ve been in therapy for years and I really like my therapist – I still am a nervous wreck every single week before my session. It’s kind of something I just got used to. (maybe some anxiety meds would help me.. it’s something I’m looking into)

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you both for sharing!
    It helps to know other people experience this too

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

I experience these exact same feelings too before every session.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!