skip to Main Content
  • This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Profile PhotoChavy.
  • Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Climber
    Participant

Does anyone else have a hard time handling their feelings over not being able to reach out to their therapist pre and during the Chag? How is your experience? Do you experience loneliness or feelings of abandonment? How do you self soothe?

This is so common, thank you for bringing it up. I would suggest the following:

1.Have a plan in place for all the ways you can self-soothe outside of reaching out to your therapist or having sessions.

Spend a few minutes creating a list on your phone or in a notebook/journal of 10-15 ideas so that you have that tactical security. There’s something about having a list to turn to versus having to conjure your skills up from memory.

Some of my favorite ideas for self-care include:

Journaling, Listening to audiobooks, Taking a walk, Yoga, Meditating, Baking…

Hopefully, you can get creative with things you would enjoy doing or things that center you.

Know that when you’re in a funk you may not want to do these activities. That’s precisely why you are creating this list with the intention of doing them when the need arises. Know that it is OK to engage in self-soothing activities even when not “feeling it”.

2. Create affirmations and write them down prior to the unpleasant feelings surfacing and repeat them as often as you can prior to the unpleasant emotions and when the unpleasant emotions surface.

Examples: Missing therapy and/or my therapist is normal. I am capable of loving and caring for myself. I am loved by significant others in my life. I thrive outside in the presence of my physical support team.

You can google how to create powerful affirmations if your feeling stuck with the technicalities.  The most important point is that you create ones that fit you and your fears. Write them down. Repeat them out loud and in your mind as often as you can.

3. If you have someone in your life that you trust to be your go-to support, ask them in advance if they can fill this void for you during Chag. When securing their presence in advance you can explain what you need to hear in a time of emotional distress and ask them if they can do that for you. They won’t be your therapist but they can validate your struggle and remind you about your wonderful strengths and capabilities.

4 . Lastly, remember; everything is temporary (even the most intense feelings) and that this too shall pass.

Rooting for you! Chag Sameach. Feel free to check in here anytime.

Fay really summed it up beautifully! Focus on doing the things that bring you joy and most importantly, go easy on yourself ?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Thank you so much for bringing up this topic and thread!

I have similar feelings and it really validated me that I’m not the only one who is going to miss her therapist (or hopefully not) over Pesach. It really normalizes the struggle of relying on therapists, as I also see my therapist as a motherly figure. I also love all your tips @Fay!

I think that creating a cope ahead plan is so crucial.

Profile Photo
    Climber
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much, Fay. It’s been most helpful the past week. Getting harder now…

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Same here!! I’m out of Brooklyn visiting my grandparents but that conjures up a lot of memories that are fearful ones. So I’m having a difficult time and I just got here.

Profile Photo
    Climber
    Participant
    Topic Author

Rooting for you <3

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to Climber's post #11102:

Thank you!! To you too 🙂

We’ll make it!! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!