skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Malkak
    Participant

How do I get students to he more respectful at this point of year?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hmm! Great question, and a tough one too.

I’m (only) an assistant teacher, but I will attempt to answer this very important question.

I remember reading Rabbi Binyomin Ginsberg’s book called Today you will Learn… Mastering Classroom Management, the idea of Presence. Basically, he says that our presence is very valuable and can show/give off a lot. For example, standing tall, and straight, sounding firm but gentle, can give off our aura of confidence, and the message that YOU are in charge.

When the teacher I work with comes late, I stand in front of the desk (it took me a long, long time to learn that!) and also call out the boys who are disrupting. It’s usually the same boys, about 7 of them. Sometimes I get them to be quiet for a whole minute or two, and then I stop and tell those boys to stop. If it’s 1 or 2 boys that are the “problem”, I would go over to their desk and give them a cue that I need their attention, and give them a warning if they didn’t listen that time.

For more problematic behaviors, I would have a private conversation with each of them and tell them that their behavior isn’t acceptable (perhaps explaining why and brainstorming what they can do so it won’t happen again) and will be followed with consequence. (You can also speak to parents and the principal if you see anything that’s atypical).

I don’t know how old your students are, but in general, when they see that we are in charge, and that their behavior won’t be tolerated, they usually “shape up” (for a lack of better words). And, of course, it’s important to also show them that you truly care about them. I emphasize that because I know how hard this can be, especially at this time of year.

In short, show them that YOU’RE in charge with a firm, but gentle hand.

If you’d like, I also have an article I wrote about teaching that I can share with you.

Hatzlacha!!!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

This is the link where you can see his books, such as the one I mentioned and more information.

Teaching Series Archives • Chinuch Support

Such a great question!

I’m a mental health expert not an educational expert, so what I would suggest is to speak to people who you consider experts in the field.  These are people not necessarily who have fancy degrees or years of experience, but people who demonstrate the skills that you want to have.  Those are the people to ask, learn from, and mirror!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!