skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi,

I feel like OCD isn’t being addressed or spoken about much and I would love for others to come forth and share their struggles with OCD. It’s just an isolating feeling when it feels like you’re the only one suffering from it. I know that another member just posted about it, and I’d love to hear more people talk about it.

Thanks!

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

I totally feel you as I struggle from it as well. I know I’m the one who just posted about it, and I’d also love if other people talk about it more

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Yes, same here! I’d love to hear others’ struggles about it.

Profile Photo
    girlmom
    Participant

Ocd is super challenging and the challenges aren’t spoken abt enough. I know that there is research that NAC as a supplement and electromagnetic stimulation can make a tremendous difference.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thanks so much, @girlmom!
    Yeah, I’m currently on NAC and have been on it for some time… Im probably immune to it by now… lol.
    Yes! We need to have an OCD Awareness Day!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

I mean, I know a lot about OCD, but I would like to see more talk about its challenges and the like.

Profile Photo
    girlmom
    Participant
    • I think there is also a lot of shame around ocd.
    Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hmm, that’s interesting. I guess it makes sense because people with OCD can have harm thoughts or obsessions and are scared they may act out on it even though they know they won’t. Is that what you’re referring to or is it shame as in ‘why can’t I get a hold of my obsessions and compulsions’?

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

also, I feel that depression is more of a spoken topic and people say a lot you got this and your not alone. But OCD is also really hard. And yes as Chavy said the harm thoughts are terrifying and I feel literally 2 voices in my head. I wish there was more awareness to people that 1. OCD is not what many people think it is- wanting to have a clean room/ organizing etc (although OCD can have those thoughts as well) and 2. Support for OCD is so necessary. And it can feel really isolating when I hear people talk about other mental illnesses so much and OCD is not spoken about a lot. If feels that somethings wrong with me

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

Thank you okclarity for this space to talk about! It is extremely helpful

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to mlove's post #14260:

@Mlove,

You said it! OCD is not only about cleanliness and being organized or even handwashing. That’s the kind of OCD that people talk about. But honestly, like you said, there’s so much more to it than just that. And it is tremendous that Okclarity gives us this space to share.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

So I’m struggling a lot with a specific OCD thought in terms of not doing the compulsion. The thought is basically saying that if I don’t act on it, something specific (I know what it is) will/won’t happen to me. I know it’s totally irrational, and doesn’t make sense, but I’m still struggling with it. I’m validating it, redirecting my focus – or at least trying to – but it’s very much there, and on my mind a lot. Any Chizuk?

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

I know I keep responding to this a lot, but when I saw your comment I literally felt that this was me speaking. I cannot express how much I understand you and literally am struggling with that exactly. For me, when I have the thought that I need to do that thing, instantly my brain connects something that seems so not connected into something specific that’s bad will happen connected to the thing I have to do. I don’t know how much sense this makes, it’s hard to put it into words but basically my brain makes a connection with the thing I have to do with the thought. And if I don’t do it, the bad thing will happen.
    I totally understand you so so much and it’s so so hard.   I don’t have much chizuk to give, as I also need that chuzik but I can share some things that help me with it.
    1. Every time I feel the urge to do the thing, I tell myself in 2 minutes I will do it. Once the 2 minutes are over, I delay it 2 more minutes etc. it’s extremely hard and every time I manage to delay it even for  short time, I congratulate myself.
    2. For me, sometimes the thing actually gives me a headache or causes physical discomfort. For example, if I have to do something dizzying etc… so for that it’s a bit easier for me to hold back as I know that it doesn’t feel good after, but it’s still hard.

I totally understand you and I know it’s so hard. Sending love

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much, @mlove!
    It’s such a good feeling to know that I’m not alone, and, yes, I TOTALLY know and understand what you’re saying. I’m struggling with that very thing now. I’m also trying really hard to externalize the thought as an OCD thought and not a “me” thought, but it’s still so so hard not to give in because then I’m scared that thing will happen. Gosh, this makes absolutely no sense… it’s like saying that if I don’t do A, then B, something totally unrelated will happen. I know it’s totally irrational, but a part of me is saying “maybe, maybe, you don’t know.” The 2 minutes sounds good, but I’m not sure it’ll work here…

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

Yes definitely doesn’t always work for me.

Gosh, this makes absolutely no sense… it’s like saying that if I don’t do A, then B, something totally unrelated will happen. I know it’s totally irrational, but a part of me is saying “maybe, maybe, you don’t know.”

Yes wow totally feel this. And sometimes I’m just like thinking about it and I question myself if I’m just thinking crazy stuff. And then I get scared of why am I thinking this etc… not easy…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!