skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile Photo
    imafighter
    Participant

Hey 👋

Im new here and just started trauma therapy and I’m terrified does anyone have advice or experienced then and can tell me what happens and reassure me.

Thank you!

Profile Photo
    Dana Rosenberg
    Participant

Dear Imafighter,

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your willingness to face your struggles, especially knowing it may not be easy! Here are a few pointers that will hopefully empower you in the process:

-Trauma work is a process, with ups and downs. It is highly individual. Healing time and effectiveness will depend on the severity and longevity of the trauma (i.e. once vs continuous, younger vs older, some support vs no support just to name a few).

-Expect that as you begin to unfold layers you may experience some stagnation, or it may even feel worse! This is a perfectly normal part of the process, and it is temporary as you slowly gain mastery over it.

-There are a number of different methods for overcoming trauma. You may want to do some research and discuss the options with your therapist to see what’s best for you. It’s also possible that you will try a particular method which does not work for you, but with time and patience you should be able to discover something that does.

-Set goals: before beginning any process, especially complex ones like trauma it is important to set both short and long term goals. You’ll want to ask your therapist things like-how long is this process expected to take? How will I know if it’s being effective? what’s the therapist’s policy for contacting him/her in between sessions? What are some normal thoughts/feelings that may arise throughout the process?

Working to overcome your trauma is an extremely courageous move on your part! Although the work can get hard the rewards are priceless! People find that they suddenly have more brain space, feelings of freedom and clarity and even physical vigor like never before. You can expect an improved quality of life and healthier relationships as well!

Here’s wishing you a smooth, rewarding and gratifying journey!

Sincerely,

Dana Rosenberg Enneagram Life Coach

Profile Photo
    imafighter
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much for responding Dana I really appreciate it. That was so helpful everything you said so perfectly and I’m definitely going to use what you said to my advantage. Thank you again!

-imafighter

Profile Photo
    I_am_okay
    Participant

Hi @imafighter,

Kudos to you for taking this huge step! Just remember it won’t be a linear process, there will be plenty ups and downs and times where you will think to yourself what did I get myself into but you need to remember that it will be worth it in the end. When I did trauma therapy it was so difficult because so much came up for me. I worked with my therapist on having a plan every time we had a trauma session on what I can do afterwards to self soothe. One very important thing is for you to take care of yourself, loads of self care and self – validation. Bh I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and can say that doing the trauma work was really worth it.

Wishing you lots of luck in this process!!

Profile Photo
    imafighter
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much and I am so happy for you that your starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like I’m just in darkness all the time but I hope with time and this process that I am starting it will help in the long run. So thank you @i_am_ok

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!