skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

The following post has been transferred from a previous version of the forum @ okclarity.com
    Originally posted by: msry6844

I have a child with autism spectrum disorder. My family is really struggling since he started exhibiting these behaviors. I would love to connect to someone in the same situation.

Profile Photo
    Wandering Jew
    Participant

Hi!

I feel that this is a little bit unconventional, but did you try googling “support group for family with down syndrome member”?

If that doesn’t work, then why not try calling Ohel and see if they already have something in place?

I don’t know for sure that they do, but I would not be surprised if they did.

Best of luck!

Hi! I feel that this is a little bit unconventional, but did you try googling “support group for family with down syndrome member”? If that doesn’t work, then why not try calling Ohel and see if they already have something in place? I don’t know for sure that they do, but I would not be surprised if they did. Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing this info. As this post is a transfer from a previous version I don’t know if @msry6844 will get notified of your response. But let’s hope he/she does!

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it

@avacad0 I’m glad you received this message. You may want to create a new post with your question so that it will show in latest posts and others will see it more easily! Best- Fay

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi! I have a son with autism spectrum disorder. It is a disorder that wreaks havoc on close family members. Whoever has a child with ASD understands what I’m referring to. The behaviors that come along with it is so hard to deal with on a daily basis. The hardest part is that they look completely normal yet their actions are not. Anyone out there can associate with this?

Thank you for sharing this. I have worked with clients in a similar situation to yours and that helps me relate to the isolation you experience. I’m so glad that you’re reaching out and I believe there are others who will be happy to connect and relate to the intricacies of your situation. I hope you can create a new topic in this category so it populates on the latest posts section, helping others see it more easily. Check your PM for details on creating a new topic. Best, Fay

Profile Photo
    canwetalk
    Participant

HASC runs support groups for parents of children with disabilities.  I believe they have a separate one for those with Downs Syndrome and another one for other disabilities (mostly ASD) .  Contact Brocha Lavrinoff 347-453-3576.

Many parents with ASD children can relate to the discomfort of having a child on the spectrum, wherever they may fall.  I believe that there is a great need for EDUCATION within our community so that those who Baruch Hashem do not have this experience can better understand where we are, how we feel, and that our children could greatly benefit from assistance from their teenagers who could be com-habs.

I personally find it extremely disappointing and frustrating that I have no one to accompany my ASD daughter to activities (she can’t get there on her own) or to spend time engaging with her.  She loves to play word games and could greatly benefit from one-on-one interaction with a typical teenager.

Any thoughts on that?

@canwetalk thank you for sharing this valuable info!

I’m going to repost it in a topic that is more alive than this one as this was a repost from an earlier version of okclarity. Feel free to comment to that topic or subscribe so you get the feedback.

link is here https://okclarity.com/forums/topic/high-functioning-children-with-asd/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!