skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile Photo
    sweetbee
    Participant

Any suggestions on what to do when I feel like I need to write things out/get them off my head but it’s Shabbos or YT? How to let out steam bottled up inside when I can’t write/type it?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi,

First, I don’t know you, but some people need to be able to write on Shabbos and Yontif, so if it’s something that you need, you may be able to get a heter from a Rav.

If not, I once heard from someone to make associations. For example, if you’re reading something and it triggers a memory or thought or feeling, you can make a mental note and remember what page it was on and come back to it later. Or, if you’re in a room talking to someone and get triggered, you can find an object that can serve as a landmark or that has something to do with the scenario and make a mental note.

I don’t know how helpful this would be, but maybe it’s worth a try.

Or, you can say what you’re feeling out loud as if you’re journaling.

I hope that helps!

Profile Photo
    sweetbee
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you for your response. I really just need a way to let out the steam at the time instead of keeping it bottled up and exploding later when I can’t write it out

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

I really hear that!
    Is it perhaps something you can ask a Rav about – if you can write on Shabbos / Yontif?
    Or, something that just came to mind is punching a pillow or squishing /squeezing a stress ball…

Chavy, your responses are so on point, thank you!

Something to add, perhaps you can take a few minutes (or more) to journal as close to Shabbos as possible. This way you are creating more emotional space in the event new emotions come up over Shabbos they may not feel as explosive and it’ll be easier to wait until after shabbos to journal about them. If this feels undoable or you try it and it doesn’t help, consulting a Rabbi is a great idea.

Rooting for you!

Profile Photo
    sweetbee
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thanks Chavy and Fay x

Profile Photo
    FunTulip
    Participant

Hi sweetbee,

maybe you can take a walk around nature that can also help to calm you down. While walking or being next to nature you can think through better whatever you feel you would need to write down.

Good luck!

Profile Photo
    sweetbee
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thanks FunTulip

Profile Photo
    TStein23
    Participant

Hi,

i guess this depends on the type of thoughts that you’re having, which ideas will be helpful,

but maybe a distraction to get your mind on something else (like tell your brain “ok now its shobbos, i’m going to work this out/ do this/ deal with this after shobbos, so putting it on pause till then” 0 it sounds weird but it is a real technique recommended by professionals also)

or maybe play a game,  read something, singing – singing can help bc its hard to focus on racing thoughts and sing at same time 🙂

hatzlacha:):):)

i’m sure plenty of people experience this on  different levels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!