skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Banana
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure where to post this but I figured anxiety might be most accurate.

When I see really poor people sleeping on benches or even collecting money or food, especially if it’s a lady, I become very sad. I worry about them and the physical and emotional pain they are enduring. Then sometimes I’ll be upset at them for not taking better care of their needs; allowing themselves to come on to others. (Of course I don’t say anything – I just give them 2 dollars.) I’ll then forget and continue with life and when I remember, I’ll feel sad again and guilty for having forgotten about them and continuing with my “good” life.

I would love to hear any advice or tips the community has for me.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant

Hi banana, I totally hear you and resonate with this struggle. I can say that what has worked for me is reminding myself that there is suffering all over the world and that feeling sad for them doesn’t help them. For me, it is a feeling and I try to let it go after giving some charity if i can. Then, i tell myself, feeling depressed for them won’t help them. I can only do my best to keep my spirits up so that i can continue to work towards providing physically, emotionally, financially for myself  and family. I hope this helps somewhat.

Hey banana and aways worried-

You are clearly both sensitive and caring individuals and sometimes that can get the better of you. @alwaysworried great job at learning to identify the feelings and moving on in a healthy way by using positive self talk. @banana I want to address that it’s ok for you to have conflicting feelings such as pity, sadness, and anger. The important thing is to identify them, accept them, and move on in a healthy way. This is not selfish. Rather, this will enable you to maintain your strength and compassion for yourself and others. best, Rachel

Profile Photo
    Banana
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much for your guidance, @alwaysworried and @Rachel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!