skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

could anyone share knowldge on pyscodynamic therapy and if people could comment on theyre experiences with psycodynamic therapy 

Hi Openminded,

Great question! I think that with the awareness of so many different modalities out there (EMDR, IFS, etc.), sometimes the emphasis on good psychodynamic therapy is lost. Hopefully, this will be helpful.

With psychodynamic therapy, the goal is to facilitate a deeper understanding of your own internal landscape, i.e. exploring who you are, how you express yourself in your relationships, the different defenses that come up for you, discovery of your personal needs and desires, and the conscious and subconscious effects that your early relationships have on your current experiences and behaviors.

If you’re looking at this type of therapy, expect your therapist to go in-depth with you about your early history with caregivers and explore with you how neglect, abuse, or trauma may play a role in your behaviors currently.

If you’re looking for a good author on the topic, I like Donnel Stern (who talks about unformulated experiences and the relationship between that and dissociation) and Nancy McWilliams (written several books on good psychodynamic therapy).

Best of luck!

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

Does psycodynamic therapy which is based on freud believe in ocd or is it all  rooted in psycodynamics?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!