skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi all,

Ive always been a big sweater and get hot very easily, but now it’s really bothering me. I think it started yesterday. I came to an appointment early and waited in the waiting room with no AC on and was sweating. Then, I was sweating not just from being hot, but from thinking about it and worrying about how much I’m sweating. I was also really scared i would smell… I felt gross and even worse on my way home, that I took a shower right when I got back.

I also just walked about 10 short blocks and came home pretty sweaty all over my face and by my under arms. And, I’m starting work again soon and I’m worried about getting there and sweating. The truth is that I take a bus there, but I do errands a lot of times (like getting myself a coffee) and of course I’ll be wearing tights… and adding everything up – getting to the bus, getting to the store, walking 2 minutes from the bus to work… I just get SUPER anxious that I’m going to sweat severely and won’t be able to cool down because I work with kids and running around.

I also just complained to my father about how sweaty I am, and he said it’s because I’m heavy – which I know I am. But, I don’t always sweat like this. I have been at my current weight for a while and walked 1/2 way home from work (during the year), and didn’t feel nearly as bad as I feel now about the sweating. So it really because I’m heavy or just because I’m obsessing about it and scared of it? Or is it both, but 1 more than the other?

Im definitely going to bring this up with my therapist, but I wanted to air my thoughts out here because it’s really bothering me.

Profile Photo
    Rivkah Kaufman
    Participant

Hi Chavy,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through this- I can imagine how uncomfortable and frustrating it feels. I cannot respond to this medically, except to say that hormonally, women may be prone to sweat more or less over the course of life, so definitely see a doctor to rule out any health concerns- weight might one of them- that could be causing, or aggravating the problem.  From a psychological standpoint, you are correct that your anxiety over sweating and smelling could definitely be making the problem worse, so definitely speak with your therapist about ways to deal with that anticipatory fear when it comes up. One last thing: I know of individuals who have had success with Botox shots in their armpits as a way to address the problem. I would see a dermatologist and see whether he/she would be able to prescribe Botox for you as a medical necessity so you wouldn’t have to pay for the procedure out-of-pocket.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Rivkah

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

Hi Chavy,

I so relate to this! You are not alone. I also tend to sweat a lot and use to get soo embarrassed by sweat stains until I went to a dermatologist that gave me something to put under my arms which has been a game changer. I definitely recommend going to a dermatologist. I also want to add that many people think excessive sweating is caused by being heavy which is not necessarily true. I’m thin and struggle with the same thing. It can be because of various other reasons such as hormones, anxiety, diet etc.

Obsessive over it can actually be making you sweat more, so speaking to your therapist about that would be a great idea. Good luck! Hope you feel good! 🙂

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Rivkah Kaufman's post #14883:

Thank you so much, Rivkah. I really appreciate it!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Hope's post #14885:

Thank you, @hope!! Are you referring to Botox?
    It’s also reassuring to know that thin people also sweat and it’s not just about being heavy.

Profile Photo
    Rivkah Kaufman
    Participant

Hi Chavy- yes, Botox. Have a Good Shabbos.

Rivkah

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

In response to Chavy's post #14888:

Hi chavy,

No, I’m not referring to Botox. It’s a solution called drysol that you apply. Ask your dermatologist about it.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Rivkah Kaufman's post #14889:

Thank you!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Hope's post #14891:

Interesting! Does it have to be prescribed by a dermatologist or can I just buy it? (I haven’t been to one in ages).

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

In response to Chavy's post #14893:

It has to be prescribed.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Hope's post #14894:

Okay. Thanks 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!