skip to Main Content
  • This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Profile PhotoHope.
  • Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

Alot of times after a therapy session, I feel down, ashamed, and just not a good feeling. I feel off after being so vulnerable. It’s like a therapy hangover and I’m wondering what I can do about this. Thanks!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

That’s a very good question!

Can you try grounding yourself into the present moment by using the 5-4-3-2-1 skill? It’s 5 things you see, 4 things you hear, 3 things you can touch or feel, etc. And to really put your whole self into the experience.

About your feelings, can you validate them? It’s so normal to feel that way after sharing really hard and private stuff with your therapist. At the same time, I don’t think you should be ashamed. I think you should be proud of yourself for making an effort to heal yourself! Of course, it’s easier said that done (I’m guilty of not really validating myself as much as I should), but we can try very small steps.

Maybe start by saying “I know you feel ____. It’s so normal. You shared ______, and that’s a hard thing to do. Good for you!!”

I hope that helps you even if just a little. I definitely have the same thing and have to practice more of the validation and grounding skills.

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi Chavy,

Thank you for your amazing reply! Very helpful and will definitely try it.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

My pleasure!!
    Now maybe I can help myself! Lol 😂

Hi Hope,

You are describing a common experience that many people have after therapy sessions.

In addition to the excellent point made by Chavy about doing some grounding, I would encourage you to bring this struggle of yours to your therapist’s attention. If the therapist knows how you feel after sessions, s/he may make changes to the way they conduct the sessions, minimizing the negative after-affects. In addition, they can help you process your post-session feelings, and also guide you as to how to navigate these feelings should they come up after your sessions.

As a therapist I can tell you that this information is very important, and for the benefit of my client, I would absolutely want to know if this is something they were going through.

Hope this helps!

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi Shaya,

I appreciate your reply. I will try to do that. Thank you!

Hi Hope, such a great Q.

Going to therapy can bring up a lot of things; emotions, memories etc can that can have residual effects. It’s not always simple to ‘close’ a session and go back to routine (as an aside this is another limitation of zoom sessions where you don’t have to ‘travel’ to session).

I’m wondering if you can address this w. your therapist and maybe set aside the last 3-5 minutes of session to try to ground (like Chavy suggested).

There’s a possibility also that something during session is triggering you and you don’t become fully aware of it until later so journaling or tracking afterwards may help too.

Best of luck!

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!