skip to Main Content
  • This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Profile PhotoChavy.
  • Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

hi,

has anyone ever had an out of body experience while walking outside and especially while crossing the street? I get it a lot and really feel like my body is going to collapse on me and feel like I need to hold onto something – especially when I’m crossing a street. It’s a horrible and terrifying feeling! I don’t even remember how it first started, but it’s not a disassociate disorder. Since I first felt it, I usually ruminate and obsess about how I’ll feel while walking outside. And now, I want to go outside to a store (just a bakery), but I’m terrified too!! Usually holding onto something like my coat pocket helps, but now I have nothing  to hold onto to feel like I’m strong and my body is holding me up. I know, utterly crazy!! I thought about putting on a coat, but I’m going to get too hot. I also asked my sister to come with me and my father to drive me, but they both said no.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

I actually just went, but I would still love to hear your thoughts on this 🙂

Profile Photo
    Rivkah Kaufman
    Participant

Hi Chavy- I’m so sorry you’re going through this and feeling so terrified. Here are my thoughts: I’d  want to ask you questions about your history, approximately how long this condition has been going on. You say you can’t remember when it started, and I would want to explore this, using an evidence-based treatment like EMDR, which can help you link sensations and body states you are experiencing now with memories you may have unconsciously blocked, and process them in a healthy way, so as  to help alleviate your symptoms.You say this is not a dissociative disorder, and I’d want to know, what makes you so certain? So, bearing in mind the caveat that I don’t know anything about your history and background, i’m going to go out on a limb and say that it sounds like there’s a traumatized part of you that is invested in your not remembering much about how and when these episodes began. Another thought is, have you ever discussed these episodes with your doctor or PCP? Could there be an underlying physical condition that causes – or is exacerbating -this condition? I hope this is helpful, and I recommend, if you have not done so already, that you see a doctor to get a full physical, including blood tests, and also see a therapist.
    I wish you the best of luck and an end to your distress-

Rivkah

Hi Chavy,

I’m glad you were able to get out to the bakery despite what you’re struggling with.

I second what Rivkah said in terms of getting a medical professional’s input on this.  I’m also curious about your history, when you started noticing these symptoms, if you have any trauma in your past, etc.

When we experience out of body experiences, it is called dissociation.  I don’t have enough information to make a diagnosis for whether or not it is a dissociative disorder, but it does sound like you’re experiencing bouts of dissociation.  I’d also look at if there are any other times or situations in your life in which you experience dissociation.

I hope that between getting a medical and mental health consult, you can get to the bottom of this and go on all the errands that please you!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you both for your feedback!

So I did discuss this with my therapist and psychiatrist and it’s mainly from my OCD. Meaning, it didn’t just happen; I probably read about it somewhere and since then, have “picked it up” as one of my obsessions. I say I don’t really remember bc I first felt it like about 3 years ago (except that I felt it when I was younger, but didn’t know what it was. I just labeled it as feeling “dizzy”) and my therapist or psychiatrist didn’t give me Dissociative as a diagnosis. I think it’s so scary because I ruminate about it and how scared I feel/will feel when crossing the street. I do have BPD, though. But I don’t think I felt this feeling before it started – 3 years ago, except when I was much younger.

I don’t have “real trauma” with a big T, but I probably do have trauma with a little t.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

I should probably also mention that my therapists and psychiatrist did tell me that grounding techniques could help, and exposure to it – doing it and not avoiding it. It’s like going out is a signal for me to start disassociating… It doesn’t always happen when I go out. Sometimes I feel strong enough and confident enough not to let it get to me, and sometimes I’m more terrified and it really does bother me.

Hi Chavy,

Thank you for filling in some of the information.  OCD can definitely have flare-ups particularly during stressful times such as a pandemic and as you said, it transfers to many different, seemingly random things for us to ruminate about.

It sounds like your therapist and psychiatrist are wise in guiding you to focus on grounding and exposure techniques to alleviate some of these symptoms.

Profile Photo
    Rivkah Kaufman
    Participant

Chavy- thank you for your response and for providing more details. Yes, OCD can pathologies seemingly random things- like going out. I’m glad you’re working with your therapist and psychiatrist on grounding techniques, and that you’re trying to push yourself to do the actions that you’d rather avoid – that’s a great way to break the negative association that starts the rumination process.
    Best of luck!

Rivkah

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much! Yes, I was so excited to go, but then I remembered that I have to walk there and got really really scared.

Thank you! Yeah, I keep telling myself that I was also terrified other times and I did it, but I guess my anxiety was crazy high then..

I hope I could do it more often and ultimately without any anxiety, but that seems like a far-cry now!

Profile Photo
    OkBuddy
    Participant

Hi chavy,

How are u doing? I have the EXACT same thing.. thought I’m the only one with it.. it started by me a few months ago, when I had too much anxiety n this was as a result of it. I still have it, sometimes I’m scared to walk down the block. I know grounding should be helpful but most of the time I’m unable to fully ground due to my intense emotions.. have u found anything helpful? I know that the more I hold myself back from going, the more I’m enforcing negative behavior but what should I do I’m scared…

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to OkBuddy's post #9971:

Hi!

Thanks for checking in! Yeah, it’s very very scary and extremely uncomfortable. And yeah, the strong emotions make it even harder to deal with.

At first, I was terrified to walk outside, and cross streets, but I did it (with absolute terror). I also spoke to a friend and my therapist about it. So I just kept doing it and tried grounding myself. For example, would hold onto my coat or pocketbook for support so that I won’t fall over.

I would say to try a skill to get your anxiety level down, or to perhaps just take the “plunge” (only if it won’t be dangerous in terms of trauma).

I also find that it helps when others are crossing the street “with me,” so I have their “support.”

I also try to walk mindfully, kind of with the feeling. Like, walking and letting myself gradually get across the street.

This is what has helped me and I definitely hope it helps you! It’s still a struggle, but definitely isn’t as scary.

We’re rooting for you 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!