skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile Photo
    girlmom
    Participant

My daughter has ocd contamination fears. When my 3 yr old doesn’t wash her hands my daughter freaks out. My husband doesn’t encourage her to wash them because he feels it’s an exposure for my daughter. In the end my daughter ends up hurting my husband physically. What’s the best way to deal with this situation. Should she get a consequence for hurting my husband? ) She’s 13.

Profile Photo
    iwillbreakfree
    Participant

My daughter has ocd contamination fears. When my 3 yr old doesn’t wash her hands my daughter freaks out. My husband doesn’t encourage her to wash them because he feels it’s an exposure for my daughter. In the end my daughter ends up hurting my husband physically. What’s the best way to deal with this situation. Should she get a consequence for hurting my husband? ) She’s 13.

Hi, First of all, I am sorry that you are going through this.

I myself am an OCD sufferer, and I know the feeling of being “possessed” by the force of OCD, to the point of it very much dictating a huge part of my life.

I am not sure whether or not your daughter is already in therapy but I would suggest to pursue therapy as soon as possible if she isn’t yet.

She needs someone to explain to her very eloquently what she is going through and that other people don’t view things her way, this is important.

Since I am also a parent of children of similar age, if I may suggest that you explain to your daughter (provided she knows what OCD is and that she has it) that she cannot enforce her own obsessions/compulsions onto other people who don’t share the same beliefs as herself.

She needs to limit her OCD from crossing beyond the borders of her own person, and, with time, even work on her own condition in order to diminish her own symptoms. (Trust me, OCD sufferers know how to get around to making things work for their obsessions even when the whole world doesn’t conform with their standards…)

In regards to consequences, once she is clear about her condition I wouldn’t rule out consequences but definitely not as a way to “treat” her OCD, rather in order to establish boundaries in the family that, regardless of her condition, certain behaviors are not acceptable etc.

Best of luck and may you find relief very soon!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!