skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

Ive heard recently of ocd in relationships like obsessive thoughts all day about relationship is that a real thing or a new title and nothing else

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

I’m not a professional at all, but I do think that obsessing about relationships is a sub-type of OCD, but I’d love to hear from the professionals here!! Is it just regular OCD intrusive thoughts, or something more?

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

Also wondering what would be the compulsion in it

Hi Nochum,

Perhaps you are referring to Relationship OD or ROCD?

It’s  a subtype of OCD which involves obsessing through being consumed by one’s doubts about their relationship. Common examples of obsessions relate to whether one married the right person, is attracted to their spouse, are truly in love with their spouse, or if their spouse truly loves them.

The compulsions are typically about reassurance- seeking from others or reassuring one’s self  that there’s nothing to doubt and that the relationship is ok.

Hope that helps!

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

Im in therapy but just what is the method to get outta of this and enjoy life

Research shows that the  best treatment for OCD or ROCD is Exposure and Response Prevention therapy (ERP). If you do have an OCD diagnosis, that’s the best form of treatment for you. If that is the type of therapy that you are in, then that’s “the method to get outta this and enjoy life.” If you are in a different form of therapy, it’s possible that the therapy is either not helpful, or worse, exacerbating your symptoms.
    Medication together with therapy is another intervention to consider.

It sounds like you’re really suffering.

There absolutely is hope for things to improve with the effective interventions I mentioned above.

Best of luck!

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you very much thank you for being on this platform and providing all this knowledge

My pleasure. Best of luck!

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

Just one last question could you have this type of ocd but not have the regular typical type of ocd?

Hi Nochum,

ROCD is a form of OCD. It’s possible that the intrusive thoughts are exclusively only about ones relationship, but it’s also possible to suffer from intrusive thoughts in other areas as well.

I hope that answers your question.

All the best!

Hi Nochum, so sorry for what you’re going through!

Sounds like Shaya really hit the nail on the head here.

OCD is a funny kind of thing and can show up in certain areas and not others (or even part of a certain area, like w/ many kinds of religious OCD).

If you’re open to a book suggestions, Dr. Grayson’s book “Freedom from OCD” has a lot of valuable education in it as well as practical tips that can be used in conjunction with therapy.

Profile Photo
    Bracha Weiss
    Participant

Hi,

I would want to add one thing- the obsessions may be relating to early attachment trauma. If an individual experienced a lot of chaos or pain in the hand of their primary caregivers, anxiety around relationships can develop. This anxiety can look like OCD, because of the obsessional component when really it’s anxiety.

If it’s anxiety, a good question to ask yourself is what are you afraid of losing? What are anxious about regarding where the relationship is leading? What are you afraid of losing if the relationship continues?

There’s more to think about- but I would definitely frame it under anxiety and suggest that you read up a bit about attachment styles.

Hope this helps

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

What questions would i be being asked in regards to early attachment trauma

Profile Photo
    Bracha Weiss
    Participant

I think you’re asking me to differentiate between anxiety and early attachment trauma. I wasn’t clear- the early trauma is what causes the anxiety so all the questions I referenced above.

There are some great books on the topic- C-PTSD by P Walker and How to Do the Work by N LePera

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant
    Topic Author

I meant in a therapy questions what would they ask me to see if this early attachment trauma existed in my life

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!