skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The following post has been transferred from a previous version of the forum @ okclarity.com

Originally posted by: Wizard

Hi, I hope this will make sense. I struggle with thinking obsessivley about the same things for a long time and it really drives me nuts. The topics tend to differ. Sometimes its about a person that i want should like me, sometimes its about my business and what i need and want to do to make it be more successful. There are times that I’m less stressed and then my thoughts are less obsessive and dont bother me. I have been in therapy and worked to understand that ocd increases when there are external stress and anxiety factors. I also use many skills to help reduce my general anxiety and stress. I just wonder if anyone else has this and can help with something they’ve tried or something they tell themseves that reduces the obsessive thinking etc. Thanks, wiz

Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

The following post has been transferred from a previous version of the forum @ okclarity.com

Originally posted by:purpleheart495

Hi.
    I have a similar sort of struggle, constantly thinking and rethinking every move, conversation and decision. The obsessive thinking causes a lot of anxiety, and I hate it because I wish I could just stop. I’ve done a lot of research, and I found out that there is a form of OCD called Pure O which seems to be the way I feel a lot of the time. Here is a link to a site that explains it very well. https://www.ocduk.org/pure-o
    I don’t know that reading this will help other people but I personally found that having a name for the feelings I was having made it a little easier, because I was able to recognize when I started getting into an obsessive thought pattern. Then I try to think in a logical vs. emotional train of thought.
    One thing that helps me is to accept my struggle. When I try to fight against it, it gets harder to slow my thoughts down.
    Another thing that really helps is to write. Just get out how I’m feeling, not concentrating on making sure it makes sense, but just dumping it out.
    Talking to other people can help, but it can be emotionally draining on them.
    One more thing that helps me is knowing that Hashem can do anything at all, and He only does what is best for me. If you internalize this fact, it hopefully will make you feel more relieved.

As a side point, it’s comforting to know that there are people out there who understand me, so thanks for your post Wizard.

Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

The following post has been transferred from a previous version of the forum @ okclarity.com

Originally posted by: Chavy

Hi,
    I can so relate to both of you. I also tend to fight my obsessions only to feel worse. I find that accepting it as this is how i feel now (which is not easy at all) and doing something self-soothing helps.
    Thanks for both of your posts!

Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

Originally posted by: Wizard

Oh gosh! I already feel so much better. I think people tend to not speak too much of this type of OCD because it seems strange and difficult to understand for those who don’t suffer from it. Knowing there are others out like like myself is an antidote already. Thank you both for sharing. What also helps me is knowing that I as well as others can continue to be successful despite these thoughts. Like they are just a little chatter in my brain that I can learn to pay little attention to while I involove myself in other aspects of my life. Headspace meditation has helped me with this tremendously. Also, like you shared- not fighting the thoughts and or the thinking patterns is key! When I tend to try and combat them they get increasingly worse, while when i really dont care about them and just let them be there I forget they’re there sometimes. Thanks again guys!

Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

Originally posted by: Chavy

It is definitely very comforting and relieving to know that i’m not either the only one with this type of OCD either. There is a lot of chatter going on by me too! I try to tell myself that it’s just a thought which i don’t have to act on. Refocusing myself and grounding can also be helpful though it takes tonz of practice not to mention patience. We can all do it! Hatzlacha!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!