skip to Main Content
  • This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Profile PhotoChavy.
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • What is OCD and what is it not?

Obsessions can be defined as thoughts, images, and/or impulses that occur repeatedly and feel beyond an individual’s control.

Compulsions can be defined as repetitive thoughts and/or behaviors that an individual with obsessions will use to neutralize their obsession.

Most people have obsessive thoughts and/or compulsive behaviors at some point in their lives. This does not mean they have OCD.

In order for a diagnosis to be made, the cycle of obsessions and compulsions are so extreme that they consume time, energy, and get in the way of daily living and/or quality of life.

Fortunately, treatment for OCD is available and a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and medication is commonly effective.

If you or someone you love suffers with obsessions, compulsions, or OCD you are not alone. Use this space to connect with others who share in similar struggles.

Support yourself and others by subscribing to this category so you can join the conversation at any time.
    Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

Could you talk about rocd is it real ?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Can we also talk about OCD?

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

Yup for sure what are to you the biggest keys to living healthy with it because it’s never fully going away I think the keys are act acceptance exposures

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

I think people including me think therapy will cure us or people say it will go away I think that harmful and not nice

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Yeah, it’s never going to go away fully. I think exposure work is very important.

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

I had harm ocd last year as well which is getting better. But the ocd is still there. And it’s super hard. And not only the harm part, but the part of the ocd that is the compulsions.

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

In response to Openminded's post #14501:

yes definitely I feel for you. people say the same to me

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

In response to mlove's post #14509:

In response to mlove's post #14509:

yes got to be really hard takes a lot of energy out of you and takes a lot of hard work amzing to hear you talk about the subtypes of ocd that don’t get a lot of attention.I can’t start as someone else that suffers from a subtype of ocd to give u and all of us credit for trying so hard to do better may hashem keep giving us the strength

Profile Photo
    Balance123
    Participant

In response to Openminded's post #14488:

ROCD  is definitely real and quite horrible to live with

Agreed- rOCD (relationship OCD) is a newly recognized subtype of OCD that can be very debilitating (and misunderstood). There are huge overlaps between rOCD, attachment style challenges, and relationship trauma, so make sure your provider can help you determine what you are dealing with specifically so that you can determine the best path through. E/RP (exposure & response prevention therapy) can be a very effective form of treatment for this subtype of OCD, so please know that help is out there if this is something you struggle with. <3

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi all,

So, my OCD is once again brutal and unrelenting, that I’m not sure how I’ll go to work this week.

Any chizuk for when you just don’t want to go on because the pain is so great, but you know that as a Jew, you do that.

Thanks, and looking forward to your chizuk!

My ERP therapist tells me to acknowledge my intrusive thoughts, validate it and redirect myself, but I’m finding it very hard to do.

(Yes, my therapist and psychiatrist know about this. My dosage was just raised….)

Profile Photo
    Openminded
    Participant

Act therapy comes in over here accept the pain but also know your values you value being a amazing worker so lets try to work even with this.als

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Thanks so much, @openminded!

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

In response to Chavy's post #14591:

I totally understand you. I don’t have a lot of tips but what I can say is that you amazing. Amazing for getting through every day. Every day is a struggle with OCD and having to deal with it and going through the day is something you should be proud of. You are strong. It takes so much inner work and strength to deal with ocd. It’s so so hard and I’m sending a big hug. The insensitive comments people making questioning what your doing or why your doing that doesn’t matter. (Not sure if people do that to you I’m speaking from my experience with that) You are awesome for just acknowledging the situation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!