skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Profile Photo
    thestranger
    Participant

What are some ways to stay motivated? Whether it be work or life. Looking for any ideas…

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Good question! I’d also love to see some “answers.”

I’d say to keep long-term goals in mind and that annoying task will bring us a little closer.

Also, I find that the hardest part is getting started. It’s so daunting to do certain things. But, once i start, I feel so much better and more in control. I also think that it’s important to develop an intrinsic sense of self-worth. If I was more confident in myself, I’d probably do half the things I push off. I think motivation can have a lot to do with self-esteem. If my self-esteem is low, I might not care to do a task that’s annoying and not as urgent. (A lot of times I don’t:( )

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

I totally agree. focusing on the long term goal involved is the biggest motivator and biggest help. another thing that helps me is having the feeling of “that gets done because i get it done” or “this turned into something really good because i did it”. the satisfaction of something happening because you did it can be another good motivator to keep getting things done. knowing that you are a huge asset.

Profile Photo
    Carver
    Participant

INVEST IN A PLANNER! I can’t tell you how helpful it was for me over the summer; just a real lifesaver. I went from sleeping in until noon to waking up knowing exactly what had to be done that day. Being able to check off something as small as making your bed or watering the plants’ll give you this sense of progress and accomplishment. It will keep you motivated to stick to whatever routine/schedule you plan out, and if you get the right planner, there’ll also be plenty of fun trivia to read about.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to Carver's post #5062:

I’ve been so obsessed with planners and tried to find the “perfect one” to solve my “not wanting to do anything” problem. But it didn’t. I’m curious as to what kind of planner you have. I wouldn’t mind something light-weight, fun and reasonable for myself. I’ve googled and googled planners but didn’t see anything i thought would work for me.

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

I LOVE PLANNERS!!! I love writing things down that have to get done, even if it’s just brushing my teeth and then being able to cross it off. The feeling of accomplishing something, even if it is the smallest task is such a great motivator to get other things done and put you in a zone of getting things done

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to RomanticYente's post #5075:

I feel that writing it down just gives me more pressure and makes it so much less appealing to do…

Profile Photo
    Sharona63
    Participant

I do bullet journaling.  All you need to start is a notebook and pen. You organize it   yourself so it can fit your own life. So yes, you make it, which sounds like a lot of work, but for me, it is soothing.  I feel a sense of control as I develop the journal. You make calendar pages; lists – to-do’s, books to read etc; trackers – moods, exercise, anything at all – the ideas are endless.   The originator of this is Ryder Carroll at bulletjournal.com.  There are tons of bullet journal websites, and they’re quite creative and beautiful, but just remember to start out simple – and not to compare.  You’ll start out simple and see what works; you’ll tweak it for what works for you, and as time goes by as changes come into your life.  The bullet journal is motivating and calming for me.  Good luck!

Profile Photo
    CTab
    Participant

@Carver I haven’t owned a planner since high school…is there still hope for me?

I love this thread. I agree that motivation and self esteem can be connected but they don’t need to be. I’m not sure what @thestranger’s main issue is re motivation but a planner and keeping an organized list is certainly helpful.

@sharona63
     I’ve actually gotten into the bullet journal a couple of months ago but as things got busier and my life revolves more around the computer it became less effective for me. It was definitely helpful while it lasted though.

Help with motivated – i find with listening to good audio books, video clips, podcasts, ted talks and the like where i can find role models doing or accomplishing similar to the goals I want to be motivated for.

With staying organized- no matter what kind of list, planner or notebook you choose, I would say:

ALWAYS create your list the night before

&

Don’t make it too ambitious.

Aim for 2-3 items that take 20 minutes or longer of concentration to accomplish (ex, writing, client meeting, any short term task bringing you closer to the long term goals you have), and 10 items that are lighter and more mindless, ex, catching up on email, dishes, laundry.  Thats pretty much the max of our concentration span for a day so keeping to these guidelines should be helpful for productivity and reduce overwhelm and burnout. FYI I didn’t make this up- I got this from Josh Kaufmans book – the personal MBA.

Definitely something I’m working on implementing. LMK if any of you try it!

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant

Staying in action. The smallest of action steps is how momentum builds. The longer one stays out of action the behavior of inaction can become a habit. Think of just one thing for today. The most doable thing (5 min walk, an apple not a cookie, setting a timer when on facebook, stepping inside a gym u don’t have to work out just step inside) Small steps of success- This builds motivation and momentum. The thought that I have no motivation is a thought that is familiar but doesn’t mean its true – you have the power to decide ??

Lastly, Long term plan (long term goal) is great ONLY IF you set a timeline backwards identifying an action goal at each timeline that will get you to your long term goal. That’s one reason why setting a New Year resolution doesn’t work for 99%. you have a long term goal but do not have concrete step by step goal to get there. what I mean is what’s your 1 year plan? write it out, write out the goal. then 3 years, , than 6 month, than 3 month then the next 4 weeks…..all identifying a specific SMART goal each of those timelines toward that 5 year goal. that creates momentum, motivation, and forward movement. small steps to your success!

Profile Photo
    Suave
    Admin

It seems there are some people that think “Ok, I need to do this task now” and they actually go and do it. What a weird way to live, how  strange, I really wonder what that would be like.

The only things that I may feel motivated to do are:

• Eat sushi (made by someone else of course)
    • Procrastinate
    • Discover alternative forms of procrastination
    • Travel (ok, this one is legit)
    • Laugh at motivated people.
    • Envy motivated people.
    • Improve OKclarity.com (fine, this one is legit too)

Disclaimer: my chronic lack of motivation may or may not have effected the delay in completing the OKclarity redesign.

P.S. for others skimming this thread, Lack of motivation is a fairly common symptom of depression. The pros can elaborate @fay @fernweis @rachel

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to Sharona63's post #5098:

This sounds so good, but I get so overwhelmed by the variety of websites, youtube videos and things on pinterest. Any ideas for starting a simply planner with incorporating the above ideas (tracking moods/journaling/to-do lists…)?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to Suave's post #5106:

Lol! I like your list of things you’re motivated to do – especially procrastination! Thanks for the comedy relief and for lightening things up! @Dr. Joanne Royer, I’m getting very motivated to make some kind of little planner, but, i”m feeling very overwhelmed by all these good suggestions. I have a history of buying planners (bc they’re cute and fun), but barely using them and sticking to what i wrote. I have a notebook where i write mostly everything. I journal, write down things I want to do, things I want to tell/discuss with my therapist. Is that good enough for a planner? I also have a calendar to write down appointments. That’s what I use.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to Fay Brezel's post #5103:

These tips and guidelines and are very helpful and practical. Thanks @fay!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!