skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile Photo
    I_am_okay
    Participant

Why are labels important? I used to think that they make a difference but some of the mental health labels have such a bad reputation and I feel so bad having it. I don’t go around telling everyone my labels but even sometimes going to professionals they look at me differently when they hear certain labels. It’s like they won’t believe what I’m saying because of the label I have. As well once you get a label it never leaves you even if it was the wrong diagnosis and it is really frustrating…

Profile Photo
    SometimesConfused
    Participant

Hi! I’m sorry that you’re struggling with this!! I relate in that it’s sometimes so hard for me to be open with my therapist feeling like she might judge me for being a certain way. I feel that a therapist should not change the way they perceive someone based on their diagnosis! I believe there is one positive of labels and that’s the relief of realizing I’m not crazy. Labels and definitions give us the ability to understand that there is a reason why we feel certain things and react in certain ways. It’s not just a dysfunction, it’s something that exists in the world and there is a term for it. It gives us the ability to separate ourselves from our diagnosis. That said, I do agree that people should NOT judge based on labels and no one truly knows a person just because they are labeled as being a certain way.

hi I_am_ok

Labels are just Labels, as sometimes wrote, we can determine how much weight they place on us and also use them to glean certain insight into our behaviors.

Labels should never  be used by a therapist as a judgment of character or an ‘all-in-one’ explanation of a person.

Every one is unique and has a whole set of circumstances that led up to whatever is currently going on in their lives, a label cannot reflect that.

good luck w/ your journey!

Profile Photo
    livelife
    Participant

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone in this feeling. we all know that the power of a word is so great, so much so is the power of a “label”. I too struggle with this, never even admitting to myself that I have an issue that has a name for it. Even though I logically know the label doesn’t define me, logic doesn’t always work :). And I find myself beating around the bush. Add in the fear of my therapist judging me, or treating me according to the “label”, and you may find me sometimes sitting in my therapist’s office with my mouth zipped. But I’m in this world to grow and learn and to become a better person. It’s a long and arduous journey, but I know, I can and will succeed.

Labels,

I tell my clients not to own their diagnoses.

Such as: I hear people say “I’m Bipolar”.

No you are not. You have been given a category to were your symptoms belong. They are not who you are.

This reminds me of something my mentor once said.

“Never verbally or mentally argue with someone regarding who you are and their perception of you. It’s only a thought.”   Be confident in who you are. Know yourself. Set boundaries. Don’t mentally or emotionally engage with others condemnations.

His example was: “I am a bald man. I know I am a bald man. Why would I verbally or emotionally engage in a debate  with someone who says I’m not a bald man?” It’s futile. People’s perceptions are only a mist. You/we are who give it substance. Don’t allow it to plant it’s seed.

“To Thine OwnSelf Be True” Hamlet

Beverly

http://www.theheartofwhatmatters.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!