skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile Photo
    12345xo
    Participant

So its the time of year where the WhatsApp messages are going around and so far from three separate people I’ve gotten the post with what the Kedushas Halevi says to Daven for on each night. Night one is to Daven not to be depressed.

I know what messages to tell myself to not feel bad about my experience but it really infuriates me when the jewish community spreads these messages as if depression can be prevented by davening. Besides for the fact that I couldn’t find the real source for this and no one online was able to find one either, I don’t believe this is true and I would guess that mental health professionals wouldn’t agree with this message either.

I just wish there was some way to get the message out that this is an unhealthy way of talking about depression and how it relates to davening.

Any thoughts?

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hmm. I hear that.

The way I understood it to be is that davening can help. It won’t take it away, but can be a source of comfort. For some, davening can be soothing and comforting, as it’s also proven that spirituality greatly helps. I don’t have a resource,  but I’ve heard it from established mental health professionals, such as Dr. David Rosmarin, the head of The Center For Anxiety.

That being said, I do see how it can be very invalidating and seem oblivious to the nature of mental illness.

Hi 12345xo,

I can understand your frustration when a casual, easy suggestion is made to eradicate depression when a person who actually suffers from depression knows it’s far from as simple.

As a therapist, I find that spiritual concepts can be helpful for clients to integrate into their healing only when these clients actually want to go down that route.  When blanket statements like the one you’re mentioning are made, it doesn’t take into account if the person wants to use spirituality or not and unfortunately oftentimes spirituality can be a trigger for more depressive thoughts when one has a complicated relationship with spirituality.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!