skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant

checking in on everyone –

who has a “win” to post? What’s working?

Profile Photo
    Banana
    Participant

So nice how you always check up on us, @drjoanne !

I’m still working on this. I’m trying to not generalize about myself. If I am late or miss the morning prayers (Shachris) or am late to school, I tend to generalize and beat myself up with “I always wake up late”, etc. I’m trying to tell myself that I’m still working on myself and sometimes I wake up earlier..

Profile Photo
    Fern Weis
    Participant

I was just writing an article about the way we talk to ourselves:  “I always” or “I never.”  Oh the stories we tell ourselves!

There is a woman named Byron Katie who created her program called “The Work.”  In it she asks us to challenge our assumptions and beliefs with a simple question, “Is it true?

So I ask you, is it true that you always wake up late?  I’m guessing that the answer is no.  Is it true that you are always late for shacharit and school?  Probably not.

Then you can change your language about it, which will help you change your thoughts and beliefs about it.  “Once in a while I am late for school.”  That automatically leaves room for the positive, which is that you are usually on time!  How does that feel?!

Perfectionism, from which I suffer, too, is a heavy burden.  “Is it true?” can help ease the self-judgment and anxiety.  What a relief.

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@fernweis you beat me to it! Excellent reply totally agree and @banana of course I will check in as it does take a village especially to concquer pesky thought habits! Fern gives you great feedback – I would add what would it be instead of thinking yourself “I am always late” to “I am on time today” perhaps practicing deliberate thinking BEFORE your appointment and getting in touch with how that thought makes you feel – stay in that feeling going into an appointment and let us know how things change for you ! Have an on time and great week ahead!! ????</p>

Profile Photo
    Chany
    Participant

i really like this. I find myself predicting the future too often leading to lots of worry. I think if i ask myself is this true the answer is a definite no and that would free up some space and help me let go. Also still working on choosing the feeling of happiness and then working to attach thoughts and actions to make it real.. thanks fern and joanne

Profile Photo
    Fern Weis
    Participant

Chany, so glad you find it helpful.  It’s a question that helps me reset, too.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!