skip to Main Content
  • This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by Profile PhotoHope.
  • Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

I’ve been in therapy for a while trying to heal from past traumas. However, more trauma happened/is happening in my life now while in therapy, so I feel so overwhelmed by all the things I want to process, heal from, and work on. I don’t know where to even start from. It feels like I have so much to do. There’s so much I want to talk to my therapist about in such a short time and then more stuff keeps adding to it. It feels like I’m carrying everything inside of me and I have this urge to let everything out to her. Does anyone have any advice about what I can do? How can I utilize my sessions in the best way during this time?

Profile Photo
    melissa
    Participant

This pressure is so hard, and also takes away the possibility of enjoying the little space you do have to tackle the issues.

I would really encourage you to talk your therapist about this issue.

Sometimes it’s a possibility to see a therapist more often during crisis, though not all therapists would go for that.

I remember once being in such a mode of always “chasing my tail” in therapy, and when I’d come in especially frazzled like that my therapist would have me write down a list of everything I would have liked to talk about, I read her the list and once she heard about all the stuff that’s in my brain, I felt better and sort of was no longer carrying it all on my own. So even if I didn’t get to talk about everything, I knew I’d expressed it at least in part.

Perhaps such a system can be helpful for you for when you feel very overwhelmed: sharing your “list” with your therapist and together choosing what might be the most helpful to address first.

I hope you find satisfaction in your work. I know how hard it is to feel that you need more support than you can get.

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much, Melissa. That is super helpful. I’m going to try doing that. Did you write your list before going to the session or during the session?

Profile Photo
    melissa
    Participant

At that particular time my therapist had me write the list in session, but I think it can be done with a list you bring in too.

You might have the presence of mind at home to include everything and know you covered all the bases.

Wishing you the best <3

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Okay, thank you!

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

One more question:

Did you read her the list, or you gave it to her to read?

Profile Photo
    melissa
    Participant

At that particular time I read her the list (I found it helpful because I threw in the little pieces I wanted to share).

She had initiated the exercise so it was easier for me to be able to read it. If I’d have initiated, perhaps I’d have given it to her to read, something I’ve done with other things plenty of times.

What was really interesting was that looking back at my list at the end of the session, I saw how we had really touched on a lot of the issues, more than I would have realized had I not had the list.

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Got it. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!