skip to Main Content
  • This topic has 29 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Profile PhotoChavy.
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

I really and want a therapist but I’m embarrassed to ask my parents for one..any suggestions?

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

What a brave question that’s on the mind of thousands of people from your question it sounds like you feel that your parents are in denial about your true feelings… from personal experience speak to a rebbi/Mora/Rav or mentor and ask them to break the ice and speak to your parents otherwise one wrong comment from your parents in the initial conversation can ruin everything… don’t be scared! That’s what teachers/Rav etc… are here for and believe me you are not the first one to speak to them

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Text them if your embarrassed to ask them in person or ask an adult you’re comfortable with to ask them for you

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Im feeling the same way. And they dont wanna pay for one either. I feel lost ?

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Start figuring out you’re main goal on what you would like to work on in therapy, then kindly ask you’re parents and convey that message. Good luck and feel better

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

If you know someone your parents respect/ want to impress and you can get them to vouch for it, might help, definitely worth talking to different people to see who can help. You’d be surprised at home many people benefit from therapy.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

No reason to be embarrassed. They will appreciate it. And you don’t have to tell them for what reason you decided to go.
    It’s like going to any other doctor when anything else hurts. Its 2020 move on!!!!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Maybe talk to a teacher/ older woman and discuss why you may want therapy and how you can broach the topic with your parents. Are you scared they will say no? Make fun or disrespect you for it? Try to also figure out what you are afraid of.. good luck and that’s so brave to want therapy! Hope it goes over well!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Go to one yourself

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I had the same exact thing. I know the feeling. One day I was so miserable that the feelings of misery and need for a therapist trumped my fear of asking my parents. You just need to weigh out the embarrassment of asking and the long term benefit of having a therapist – which one wins out? If you really don’t feel comfortable, maybe consider writing them a letter explains how you feel, or speaking to someone you feel comfortable with and trust such as a teacher or Rebbitzin who can speak to your parents on your behalf.
    I can tell you, it’s really worth it.
    Good luck!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I had a very similar feeling. Don’t be embarrassed
    You’ll most probably be pleasantly surprised.
    And if not, well at least you won’t have to hide it anymore.
    You’ll feel so much more relaxed and open.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Many parents have no clue what’s going on in their child’s life . But I could tell you one thing , that in this generation , if a child asks for one , the parents should go above and beyond to find one.
    Now if she thinks it’s an expense for her parents , then she should know that there are therapists through insurance . If you could list some therapist that take insurance I’m sure that will be a big help to many .
    I find that there are so many that need it but can’t afford it . Hatzlacha

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

As a teenager myself, I know from experience that it can be really hard to open up, especially because I’m a naturally private person and I’m not the best communicator. I think you should try to talk about it with your parents because it will benefit you so much that it’s worth the few moments of uncomfortableness (if that’s even a word?). Two of my sisters went/go to therapy and it helped them immensely just to have a neutral person in their life to emotionally vomit on. In sure your parents want the best for you and since you’ve decided this is what you need to be the best you that you can be, I’m sure they’ll support you in your choice. I just want to say kudos to you for stepping up and asking for help. That’s a really brave thing to recognize and accept that you need help. It’s not easy. I wish you the best of luck.

Hope this was helpful!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

For the person who wants a therapist: are you in high school? Maybe the principal can help? Either as a go-between or a source of information?

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Me too, recently I’ve been really depressed and I told my parents when I had a huge breakdown, but they didn’t say anything about a therapist. Also, I’ve been worried that I might have some sort of disorder, which might just be me overthinking, but I don’t know cause I’m too scared to ask my parents to get me checked. Anyway, I think I know how you’re feeling but I don’t really have a solution better than just doing it, which I haven’t either, so I’ll give you virtual hugs and good luck❣️

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!