skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14182:

👌🏼

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14181:

I think the main income from both partners, even if one earns more than the other, should both be deposited in a joint account for bills, etc. any other side money that comes in, from stuff like birthday, gifts, or part time side job should be kept separately for pocket money. After all, you can’t buy a gift for your spouse from their money 🙂

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14181:

It’s possible to have an automatic payment go out from the main account weekly to the other accounts, for a predetermined amount.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14184:

Great answer! Agree to every word.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14184:

I did ask bec i feel controlled, i was waiting and hoping for someone to bring up the idea of me being controlled.

-Original Poster

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14205:

I am saddened to hear that this is what you are going through. I’m glad I followed my gut and responded to your inquiry once I saw no one was mentioning “control.”

I am not at all suggesting that you are dealing with a case of financial abuse, as I don’t know the specifics of your case, but in case it helps you or anyone reading, I figured I would take a few minutes to make space below for this important topic.

First I want you to know that you are not alone. Unfortunately financial abuse is a form of abuse that is often not spoken about like some of the other forms of abuse, but it’s still a real form of suffering that spouses can go through.

I was able to sense from your original question that your gut was telling you that you were being controlled. It seems that you have a sense that what you are experiencing isn’t ok. Please continue to know to the depths of your being that no one has the right to control you in any way and that includes with money. Trust your intuition.

In general, financial control can play out in different ways (too much detail to list here) all of which have a common theme of an unhealthy dynamic where the controller is in charge and holds the (financial) power and your role is to be subservient to their needs which can have significant consequences on your emotional and psychological health.

Anyone going through this deserves to be helped and deserves to be free from this form of control.

I hope that after reading this you let us know that you are safe and that this does not in any way apply to you.

If however it does apply, please know that help is available to you, and I’m sure I speak for everyone in the OkClarity community, that you have all of our support.

Wishing you only the best.

Shaya Hecht, LCSW

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Sending love 💖❤️💗. I hope you find help for that.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I’m sorry your being controlled. Know that your not alone in this. ❤️

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Then this isnt an issue with separate or joint accounts. If you’re in a mutually respectful relationship then it doesn’t matter how many accounts you have , all passwords are shared and open. If you’re controlled via money, then having a separate account wouldn’t help either.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14202:

I bought a gift for my husband with “his” money. When i told him offhandedly you paid for it he said its our money stop saying mine yours etc.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

My friend got married and always kept a separate account and wouldn’t stop saying my money my money…. Fast fwd to their divorce lol. Im not saying you cant have separate accounts if you feel the need but if you cant trust your spouse with “your” money then you’ve got a problem! (Obviously addiction and gambling not in play here)

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Wow!!! He’s great. As usual!!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Control is never a word that should be used in a marriage. Money is one of the many ways that people can feel controlled.
    Is this an example of controlling behavior or the only way it plays out? If is just an example, then I suggest you seek guidance. If it’s the only way, then maybe an open discussion would help. Perhaps he doesn’t like your spending habits and instead of discussing it he is making an executive decision.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14182:

I like this response.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #14206:

Thank you Shaya Hecht for following your gut and mentioning the possibility of being controlled. I felt alone and thought everyone has it together in the financial department.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!