skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile Photo
    iamafighter15
    Participant

Hi all! I’m wondering if I can get some advice here..

I went through a lot of abuse and didn’t feel loved as a child. By some very big miracle I’m still alive today and successful in my life. I came a long way. From being selective mute to getting a thrill on going out of my comfort zone as well as being there for others in a way that nobody was here for me. The thing is I’ve been in therapy for around 2 years where I learnt how to set boundaries with many people in my life and in general learnt important life skills. I also went to a workshop which helped me heal a lot and move on. I feel like I want to share my life story with someone (I only shared partially in the past) and I want to get validation and some clarity on things that happen. I’m trying to figure out if I should see a new therapist just for a few sessions?

Profile Photo
    if-the-stars-align
    Participant

Hey!

I think it’s part of being human to feel like we want to share our story – who we are, essentially, with someone and to hear that we are normal in our feelings and reactions.

Are you currently seeing someone or the 2 therapists were in the past? If you’re not seeing someone, I would totally encourage you to either return to your old therapists if you had a good relationship, or see someone new for a little bit.

Therapy is awesome. I see no downside!

Good luck!

Hi iamafighter15,

Good for you for changing and transforming the trauma you grew up with. It’s an incredible task and no easy feat. I like the way you say, ‘by some miracle’! Chances are, you created the space for your own miracle with your hard work and diligence in therapy and by aligning yourself with your truest values.

There are two types of trauma therapy, and each can be very helpful to a person in the right time. The first is a focus on learning life skills and relationship skills that are helpful in present time. Many people who grew up with trauma also grew up with attachment deficits, so things like learning to love and respect yourself, boundaries, setting personal limits, learning to say no, and communication skills, all need to be relearned.

The second type of therapy addresses the negative events that happened in the past. This can be done via psychodynamic talk therapy, or other trauma therapies such as EMDR, Somatic Experiencing/Healing, AEDP, IFS, and/or other trauma models.

Since you’ve been to the first type of therapy and had a lot of success, it might be a good idea to try the second type and ask the therapist what s/he can offer you in terms of moving forward on your healing journey.

Wishing you tremendous continued success,

Zipa Leah Scheinberg, LCSW

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!