skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

I have learned that champions aren’t just born; champions can be made when they embrace and commit to life-changing positive habits.

-Lewis Howes

Breaking the bad, instilling the good. Here is the space to share the ins and outs of what works, what doesn’t, and what to try next.

Profile Photo
    Carver
    Participant

A quick google shows that it takes about 2 months or 66 days to make something habitual, or automatic. I think a lot of people might be put off by this because of where we all start off–Day Zero–and the finish line feels hidden behind some impossible advent calendar. But all things are possible through faith: believing in yourself is half the battle; the other half is learning about consistency. That’s where real habit lies and it’s something that can’t be taught, only embraced, as Howes’ quote says.

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

over the years, i’ve been trying to consciously eat better and take better care of my body. i think what worked for me in developing that habit where now i don’t even think twice about reaching for a cucumber rather then a chocolate bar was failing. I also gave up dairy. that took a lot of trying and failing. in the beginning, i would go one or two days and then give up and i would feel awful and upset that i gave up and i would try again. as time went on, the time between starting and slipping up started to increase and i would get really sick when the slip ups would happen. once i started to get really sick from the slipping up, they just disappeared. i still indulge in the occasional dessert and foods that may not be the best for me, but i can say that i have successfully given up dairy for two years now. to me, the only way to learn is to fail.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Yes, habits are so hard to break. I would love to break or more like replace my habit of checking my phone with doing more productive things and with being okay with being alone. I actually keep my phone in my pocket on vibrate at work and only look at it until I’m done. I got this “idea” from therapy. Just like a therapist is fully there for you, I want to give over the impression that I’m with my students. It’s like having “therapy” with them in the sense that they only matter now.

Profile Photo
    CTab
    Participant

In response to RomanticYente's post #5221:

That’s so great to hear how you “failed” your way to eating healthy. Ever so gradually your body started to do the right thing on its own. I noticed how you first wrote that this was something you were doing consciously but then after a few slip ups that wasn’t necessary. I think that’s the point of any habit, really, it becoming second-nature–like breathing–so that it’s one less thing to worry about and one more thing to do.

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

In response to CTab's post #5232:

Yes absolutely!! habits should be something that we don’t have to think about

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!