skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant

Hello everyone, not sure where to post this but it is Thanksgiving and I wanted to invite you to reach beyond the usual “gratitude” for others and what you have, to focus on what you are thankful for about WHO you are.  Don’t forget yourself on that gratitude list.

Self-gratitude

feel free to brag and share.  You probably don’t do enough of that. Would love to read about it.

Profile Photo
    Chany
    Participant

ha thanks for staring this. Yes, I am grateful for sipping a hot coffee right now with a delicious protein bar and having a few minutes to catch up on emails and check out this site. Taking a moment to realize the gift of these simple pleasures that not everyone is granted turns ordinary into extraordinary. Thanks for the reminder.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

So what am I grateful for? At first nothing is coming to mind bc of my low-energy. But here are a few things: Heat in the freezing cold weather! Food to eat, a computer and a phone, coping skills, friends, work, all my body parts are b”H (thank God) working which i am working on not taking for granted, and much more that’s just not coming to mind right now. @Dr.JoanneRoyer, this skill, coming up with things to be grateful for is a DBT skill in Emotion Regulation.. It’s a great way to see all the great blessings we have instead of only dwelling on the negative (at least for myself). Thank you for giving us and me this opportunity!

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant
    Topic Author

@Chavy this is fabulous and I’m glad you are finding some tools that are helping..good going! luv your list!

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant
    Topic Author

@chany glad you are able to put this to use. it’s easy to view what’s not working. our mind always is throwing suggestions our way! time to train it to view what is! enjoy the weekend. practice self-love!

Profile Photo
    Chany
    Participant

Yes it’s so is true. There is so much good and yet our minds are naturally inclined to focus on what is missing to go and pursue that. I once read that we may even think that if we’re grateful for little things we won’t have the drive or desire to go after more and get better things in life. So subconsciously we keep ourselves unhappy and in a lacking state in an effort to fuel us to do more to have a better life but end up miserable in the process.

I think the trick is to remind myself and perhaps others who feel this way that even from a place of deep gratitude and possibly only from a place of deep will be able to find the strength to go after and accomplish all the rest we want from ourselves and life. Gratitude for the status quo won’t make us numb and lazy it will fuel us to go after and reach our goals while allowing us to enjoy the process and journey. Talking to myself here. Would love to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to Chany's post #5445:

So true! I totally agree.

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant
    Topic Author

@chany well put. gratitude is important because it acknowledges what YOU made possible. each time you step into courage you create a brick of confidence. that’s what the gratitude of what YOU have done is so important which drives you forward (into more action). it’s easy to stay in what isn’t happening.  if you remain in status quo and everyone has experienced that place, then its a note to take stock in what the thoughts are that are keeping you there and not moving forward. that’s the work.

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

This is great! I think too often we get bogged down by our busy schedules or worrying about what we don’t have that we forget to be grateful for what we DO have. This article is a great resource to help us remember how lucky we are, around the holidays and all year long.

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

Wow. love this. Something that i struggle with is the vulnerability of showing gratitude, especially to my parents. I bh have everything and anything I could ever want. A warm home, a loving family, food to eat, clothes to wear. I am grateful for the life i have been able to live and can only imagine the life i will live as my life goes on.

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant
    Topic Author

@micthell @RomanticYente I am glad the piece resonated with you. thanks for posting.

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant
    Topic Author

@RomanticYente that is a beautiful gift your parents have given you.  My question is, what are YOU grateful for about yourself to be where you are. Don’t forget you have choices, yes things given to you, provided to you, but you still make things happen….YOU do that.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

@romanticyente that is a beautiful gift your parents have given you. My question is, what are YOU grateful for about yourself to be where you are. Don’t forget you have choices, yes things given to you, provided to you, but you still make things happen….YOU do that.

I like the point you made about ‘what’re we grateful about ourselves.’ I’m not even sure how to answer that question! I guess I could think of a few things… My positive qualities, talents.. not sure if I should advertise them or not 😉

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Chavy's post #5476:

YESSS!

SHARE, “advertise”, brag about who you are. you can practice doing it here! But it starts with you noticing those gifts you have to make what is working for you and around you, happen.

YES brag away.   I will start and hopefully by you stepping out of your comfort zone, others will follow….then take in how good it feels to say it out loud!

I am thankful for

my tenacity,

my compassion, my sharing of my heart,

my sensitivity,

my good nature,

my warmth that I can show to others

I am a good loyal friend

YOUR TURN ~

I dare you to post at least 5!

ready set go!!

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

I am so grateful for being who I am at this given point in my life.  Although I would love to change very many things. I am still happy that hashem has given me so much, much more then i deserve.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!