skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

Anyone here a vegetarian or a vegan? Thinking about converting but wanted to hear any pros and cons people had or good/bad experiences people have had with this stuff

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant

Hey! Ive tried and it was totally unsustainable for me. I also heard from other people that ultimately your body will crave animal products and you will eat in in abundance or binge on it out of deprivation. It basically confirmed a hypothesis i have that Unless there’s a mandatory health problem with certain food groups i think restricting will always backfire in one way or another. Curious, what makes you interested in it or want to try it? Totally open to having this discussion as I’ve had my rounds of trying different fads…

Profile Photo
    Carver
    Participant

I’ve tried it on and off over the past couple of years after my doctor recommended it. You have to get really creative with your dressings and the meals you cook because otherwise everything just tastes bland–sort of like going on a juice cleanse, I guess? But if you can handle that it’s supposed to work wonders. I don’t think i’ve ever met an unhealthy vegetarian, haha

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

I agree with everyone that going vegetarian can be difficult and there are some logistical issues with it, but if it’s what you want to do then go for it! A lot of the members of my family are vegetarians and I think that the transition is just like any other one. It’s hard at first but after a while, you get into the swing of things. It can be tough to find diverse choices of food, both for nutrition and flavor, so make sure to check with your doctor and plenty of cook books!

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to alwaysworried's post #5372:

I’m not sure what sparked this. I think I’ve been hearing (and seeing) so much about the animal cruelty that goes on and its so hard to eat the animals knowing what they go through. All of the movies and documentaries about the stuff say how awful animal products are for us but growing up eating it my entire life, its so hard to give it up. i find its most hard to give it up when im with my friends and they want to go to a meat restaurant. over this past summer and then coming back to school this year, i just so happened to lessen my meat consumption and im already lactose intolerant so im pretty close and i actually felt nice. i felt like i was focusing on my vegetable consumption, which is something im not so good at. idk

Profile Photo
    DotingKishke
    Participant

I agree. I think if its something that you want to do then talk to your doctor and just make sure that you are getting all the necessary nutrients needed. I know I hear a lot about the essential amino acids that come from animal products and B12 that also comes from animal products. low to no B12 can cause irreversible nerve damage. I definitely hear you on the animal cruelty and it is tough to deal with once you see it for yourself. Thankfully you aren’t married to anything (for lack of a better term). If it doesn’t work for you, you can always change back. Best of luck!

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to DotingKishke's post #5418:

Wow, thank you! Good to know about the B12. I have been trying to do as much research as I can and ask as many people as I can. I have not made any commitments yet but im experimenting to see how i feel. the last thing i want to do is cause irreversible damage.

Profile Photo
    CTab
    Participant

Saving this for my new year’s resolution!

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to CTab's post #5527:

hahahahah agreed. So it’s been a week since I’ve eaten meat and I actually feel incredible but I’m still so turn in going further but the thought of meat grosses me out. I’ve had a really good week at the gym and seeing muscle growth and in my dancing and i just cant help but equate the two, although i also understand that they are not connected but im just still so torn

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant

Hey, sorry i haven’t revisited this in a while. What i reminded myself when i was struggling with wanting to be vegan for health reasons etc was that according to torah meat and dairy and all is good for you and the way we treat animals is according to Toarh and that’s what Hashem wants from us. What i have seen with myself and many other people including books or podcasts I’ve listened to is that ultimately vegan is not the way to go as is anything extreme. I think the correlation your experiencing is something i like to call bias where we convince ourselves that a correlation is a cause effect when in essence it is not. It could be that the restriction of a food group gave you a sense or feeling of power or control that made you feel happier, stronger, see yourself in a better light etc. when in reality it was just a thought and feeling of having external in perhaps not the healthiest way for your mind and body. Lots of ppl with food and eating struggles are susceptible to this, myself included in some ways. I keep reminding myself that the balance and moderation of all things food related especially, is a goal worth striving for as opposed to the goal of finding out what to cut out and therefore getting stuck in tons of testing and experimenting. Of course you can have foods that you like better, healthier options, treat options, food that make you feel gross but are awesome in the moment and worth the experience etc and balance it all. Definitely easier said than done,. Like i said its my goal, doesn’t need to be yours. Just my thoughts…

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

In response to RomanticYente's post #5553:

I’m not sure that the muscle growth is related to stopping eating meat, but that’s great that you’re feeling better! The whole point of changing up your diet it to do what makes you happy and healthy. As long as you keep those two things in mind, this is going to work out great.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!