skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile Photo
    okidoki
    Participant

Has anybody had the experience where they shared something with their therapist and just felt awful after? I had a session with my therapist yesterday, and I manage to tell her something I have never told anybody.  Since then I feel so disgusting. I feel so exhausted and drained, and all I want to do is go to bed. I’m starting to regret sharing it with her since it hasn’t done good. I usually don’t feel this way when talking to her. What can I do to help myself? Today is Wednesday and my next session is on Tuesday.

This is really normal and you already did one good thing about it. You got your initial feelings out in a healthy way by posting right here!

What to do now?

1. Keep reminding yourself this is completely normal. It’s normal to share and then feel vulnerable and quite awful and exposed. Perhaps there wasn’t enough time left in the session to process what you shared and you will have the opportunity to do this in the next sessions.
    2. Journal. Part 1. Write out what you shared, how you feel, and hold nothing back. focus on all the unpleasant emotions you feel and write them out. Remember this is pen and paper and you can go all in. This could really be cathartic and reduce the sting/intensity of emotion. Part 2. Write out why you are proud/happy/relieved or anything pleasant about the fact that you took this leap.
    3. Remind yourself that growth is uncomfortable. And the discomfort you’re experiencing now is what they meant when they said growth is uncomfortable.
    4. Be proud of yourself. You can feel unpleasant and be proud of yourself at the same time. Don’t allow one emotion to dominate.
    5. Remind yourself that this too shall pass. Think about unpleasant feelings you had in the past and how they didn’t last forever. You were able to ride them out and resolve them. This will be another success scenario under your belt.
    6. Love yourself. Rinse and repeat.

Rooting for you!

Profile Photo
    okidoki
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much for responding! I’m definately going to give your tips a try.

Profile Photo
    splitandtrying2bme
    Participant

Hey!

I just wanted to tell you that I relate so so much to your post here. I have gone through many sessions feeling absolutely horrible afterwards about sharing what I did. I regretted it so so much. I felt like I couldn’t rid myself from the horrible feelings I felt after the session. I would feel crazy for how I felt, but now, looking back- I can say that it is so normal to feel that way. It’s part of a bigger process of learning how to let someone else into your world, learning how to trust, to share, to be vulnerable, and expose yourself. Although you probably don’t feel this- good for you for sharing.

Also, you mentioned that this was something you had never told anyone else. This makes even more sense to why you would feel awful after the session. When it is the first time you are sharing something – it makes it double complicated and can bring up horrible feelings when sharing, especially if it was something kept secretly for a while. I’v experienced this, and when my therapist reassured me that it was normal to feel any emotion I was feeling, as it was the first time sharing that specific thing – it helped really me.

So just remember your normal, and your feelings make sense!

Good luck with everything, and good for you for reaching out.

I’ve only felt awful like this after I’ve shared an aspect of myself that was initiated by a direct question that my therapist has asked me. In retrospect, it feels as if she was fishing (or at times pushing) for something deeper.  Since I wasn’t fully prepared to share my story, I’m left feeling violated and somewhat torn apart from the experience. On the other hand, when I muster up the courage to share something private, it may start out hard to talk about at first, but after I’ve leaned into my story a bit, I’m able to relax and usually feel better afterword. I feel vulnerable in both situations but would rather enjoy feeling the freedom that I experience when I’m open to volunteering the information. I don’t think that being pushed to share something that I’m not fully ready to share is good practice. @okidiki, Did you volunteer to tell your secret?

Profile Photo
    okidoki
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Shimshon Meir Frankel's post #11408:

Its actually interesting because its been something I’ve been meaning to tell my therapist for awhile, I just couldn’t figure out how to do it and when would be a good time. During that conversation she asked me a question and first I kept just saying the words its complicated over and over so not to share. But then I pushed myself to share it. I find that for me I do much better when I am asked questions. It is so much harder for me to come forward and say what I need to. My therapist just told me that she wants me to be more active in my therapy process and be the one to initiate conversations more, but its so hard for me. I just wait for her to start the conversation and I just let it go wherever. So even though it was hard for me to talk about it and I didn’t feel great after,  it was the right thing for me, because had she not asked me I would never have shared that part of my life with her.

I appreciate that, okidoki. It’s very reassuring. It sounds like your therapist really knows how to hold space for you and knows when to encourage you to speak for yourself. She probably would prefer if you were the one guiding your sessions (I mean, it’s your time and money). That means she knows you really well. Her questions are an invitation for you to share what’s really been burning on your mind/heart. I would call her questions: “giving permission” to speak out what you’ve been deeply hoping to share all along. It’s reassuring to hear that someone is giving you permission to be you and share your own story. Thanks for sharing this with me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!