skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile Photo
    notmyrealname
    Participant

I’ve heard that clients are not supposed to give large gifts to their therapist for ethical reasons. I’m wondering if anyone would know if this would apply also as a goodbye gift when leaving therapy? It would seem to me that if I can spend $200 per session, I should be able to give a larger gift to my well deserving therapist!! I would love to hear from both clients and professional on what is considered the “norm” and or what you/your therapist appreciated.

Profile Photo
    splitandtrying2bme
    Participant

Hey!!

I am no professional, but I have been a client for a while:)

This topic always seemed controversial, but from what I have seen and heard, it seems super normal to give a therapist a goodbye gift. No therapist will tell you you need to, and some will even tell you not to, but to me it seems normal to give a token of appreciation especially when you are terminating. In terms of what to give- I personally feel that anything you give will show appreciation, which is the point and therefore no need for something grandiose or expensive.

Hope you find the right gift that feels right!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!