skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Profile Photo
    batsheva86
    Participant

I would love to start a topic for those of you who have family members who are struggling. Being the child of a parent who struggled majorly, it had a tremendous impact on me and I always felt so alone. I know my mom struggles and doesn’t mean to be hurtful . She only does it because she  is in pain and not because she wants to hurt me. I’ve been seeing a therpaist to help heal from my traumas from her, it’s been a tough journey but I am bh” learning to heal and to forgive

I am wondering if anyone else deals with this that can give me some chizuk – if anyone has any family member that is struggling is open to talk about it here

Hi batsheva86!

Thank you for having the courage to share this. It’s tough but the good news is what you’re experiencing is very relatable. You have a community here!

Profile Photo
    batsheva86
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to robingoldman's post #11171:

Thank you so much for replying! Means so much to me and it helps me tremendously to know that I’m not the only one facing this challenge and that others can relate!

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

It’s not easy. Especially when that family member is a parent. That changes everything. Are you living by your parents currently? When people are away from the unhealthy environment, they are better able to pity their parent or in my “lucky case” both parents:) and heal better. You have to be kind to yourself and realize that chances are if these were your circumstances while you grew up, you probably blamed yourself for everything assuming it was your fault. Be understanding to yourself and if you wouldn’t judge others that went thru the same pain then don’t judge yourself

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

What a question. I’m gonna be waiting to see the answers. I have a parent that has some issues and I’m scared to get married bc of it. All my siblings have said to give up on her and move on but I find that hard to do.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

I wish I can get advice,my husband suffers from real deep depression

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

There’s a program called ACA (adult children of alcoholics) which can be really helpful. it’s not just for alcoholics, but others issues as well, they deal with the inner child etc.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

That’s so sad:( I think that the hardest part of having parents with mental illness is feeling alone. Even amongst siblings, (who are often unhealthy). It kills to be hurt by parents who should really be supportive and loving again and again and not having someone who understands or cares. It’s so important that they have support. So that they can get the reassurance that there’s nothing wrong with them. Because parents with mental illness really make their kids feel that way..

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

In response to WhatsAppers's post #11179:

Regarding this….. I went to such a group in Boro Park and it was a disaster.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

In response to batsheva86's post #11172:

My therapist always tells me ” it doesnt matter”… when I say do u think anyone else is in a situation like mine or feels this way

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

In response to WhatsAppers's post #11179:

Can I get the number or website for this place? I suffer with this severely as well

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

It is super challenging…But the challenging part is not the experience you already had…it’s about what that experience is telling you about yourself today!! Your true strengths and your true qualities and your authenticity to yourself is your compass!! Don’t believe any other messaging!! Other than what you know in your heart to be true about yourself!! Keep a strength & value inventory/journal to combat any other messaging…and keep notice when your getting spammed by your insecurities! Good luck!!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

In response to WhatsAppers's post #11182:

Yes it does matter. Its so important to feel validated and ‘normal’

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

I’ve been to ACA meetings, and read through the ACA book, and have found it incredible.
    My entire life, the ways I lived, the struggles, the feelings, the actions and reactions, are all described there. It was incredible, is incredible, to see and understand myself. And know that others live with the same reality I live with and have found serenity and joy.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

In response to WhatsAppers's post #11183:

There is a site adultchildren.org, and, https://acafellowworldtravelers.com/

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!