skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant

Hi. I have ocd and it’s very difficult. No, I’m not talking about fake ocd that people use as an adjective. Real ocd with intrusive and horrible thoughts. It’s actual torture. People who have ocd know what I’m talking about. Can anyone give some encouragement? I do have a therapist but I also want to know if anyone here who has ocd can share what helps them get through it. Thanks

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

@mlove,

I have OCD and I so know what you’re talking about and share the same pain and difficulty. It’s really really difficult! BH my meds are helping, after trying many.

I don’t have much encouragement to offer, but I can share a few tips that I know can be helpful. I don’t always personally do them, but when I do, at times, it is helpful.

I try to do a DBT skill called Mindfulness of Thoughts and use the Observe skill. It’s basically a way of getting some distance from the intrusive thoughts and the intensity. That would look like observing that you’re having a thought, noticing it, acknowledging it and just letting it be. It’s also called Externalizing. The goal is to get less enmeshed from it and to try to see it from a detached way.
    I know, this all sounds wonderful but is really hard to actually carry out.

I don’t know if this is helpful or not, but know that you’re not alone. I’m actually relieved that someone else also shares my pain and I’m not alone. I don’t hear too much about OCD sufferers, so this is validating to me.

Profile Photo
    mlove
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you Chavy. That is really helpful. It’s nice to know I’m not alone, as I don’t really see that people talk about it a lot. And I’m glad it helps you to know your not alone. Thanks so much for the tips and I will try them

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!