skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Mendy
    Participant

We Had a child during Covid that gained quite a bit of weight.

Once lockdown finished she went back to normal , lost it all and everyone went crazy how skinny she looks

Someone close to her mentioned that maybe somethings wrong that she lost so much weight which got her worried and she felt sick eating for the next few days.

Now every time she’s bored she seems to get scared and has no appetite to eat and she thinks back to that episode
    Anything to worry about – what’s the best way to get her out of this ?

Hi Mendy,

I had a similar thing happen to me when I was a child. I became very fearful of eating after an allergic reaction to food. I lost my appetite for months and it was very scary for me and my family. Sometimes events, comments, or even hypothetical situations can significantly change your relationship with food. For me, seeing a therapist alongside a nutritionist helped a lot.

I hope she feels better soon!

Profile Photo
    Bracha Kopstick
    Participant

Hi Mendy,

Generally speaking, we don’t want to see weight loss in children & teens, as they’re in a period of growth and should be gaining weight. However, this probably shouldn’t have been told to your child, as it’s negatively affecting her.

Some things to do:

Normalize weight gain in childhood/puberty.

Help her eat regularly- a meal and snack schedule can help her regain confidence around eating and relearn to trust herself around food.

A weight-neutral dietitian  can also help with education around food and weight, as well as help with the fear of eating.

Profile Photo
    Malka Katzenstein
    Participant

Hi Mendy,

It’s unfortunate that people make comments to others- especially children- about their weight and health. I’m sorry that what someone else said  got your daughter so worried.

It’s normal for appetite and weight to be affected by circumstances and mood. Let your daughter know that and help her feel comfortable talking to you about how she’s feeling.

Like Robin Goldman said, it can be really helpful to work with a therapist and a nutritionist who can help her feel comfortable and secure about her health, body image, and food  if it would make her feel better, a check-up with her pediatrician could be a good way to reassure her that she’s physically healthy

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!