skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I think that it’s so special that you have such a deep connection with Hashem, and it clearly becomes stronger because you cry to him; but at the same time, I think it can be extremely beneficial to go to a human therapist who can respond to you and help you figure things out in a practical way. I think the two don’t contradict, and you can see a therapist while maintaining your close connection with G-d as long as you don’t stop reaching out to Him as well!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

There are many reasons why previous generations did not get help (many of them were the wrong reasons, not because they asked their Rov & were told not to go).

I too am a man and I also cry. It is perfectly normal for someone who is depressed to cry. It’s important to daven & cry to Hashem more ppl should do it.

However, from the tone of your question I would guess that you are what is called clinically depressed & would greatly benefit from therapy.

Sometimes Hashem wants us to realize that we can’t do it all by ourselves he wants us to get the help we so desperately need (Ushmartem me’od le’nafshoseichem – it is an obligation to take ‘very good’ care of yourself, mentally & physically).

I wish you lots of yeshuah & hatzlocha with all you are going through.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Great question! Firstly, I just wanted to say that your relationship with Hashem is really special and something to be proud of. To answer your question, I think if you are finding that it is getting in the way of your day to day life/interfering with your quality of life it is probably a good idea to try speak to a therapist or someone. Wishing you all the best

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Crying every day, that doesn’t sound very healthy. Especially a grown man… I think this man would benefit from therapy. Everything in moderation.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Kind of like a keli. There’s a joke that a guy was looking for a parking spot and he said “Hashem I’ll give $100 to tzedakah if I can find a place to park.” Just then another was pulling out. So he said “nevermind Hashem, I found one.”
    Now I’m not saying necessarily to opt for a therapist; you need both POVs. So in order to draw down Hashems help you might need to seek help down here, and that’s ok! On the other hand, I believe that at different points of ur life you need st different. For example, a couple years ago therapy would not have been the best option for me. However, being in the place that I’m in now, i think it’s the better option. I think you should think: do you feel that u feel better after talking to Him, and overall, has it gotten a bit better since you started?
    Trust ur gut.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #11034:

I disagree; not necessarily are u In control of ur emotions. Ppl with depression don’t control that or when they get phases of sadness.

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

I think of a therapist like a a doctor but of emotional or mental things. Just like one goes to a doctor for physical healing, because the doctor acts as a shaliach to bring healing, same with a therapist.
    I don’t see this as something that takes away from the way we have a relationship with Hashem. Hashem is the best therapist, that doesn’t change. I see therapy as a gift from Hashem, as part of the tools He gives us to enable us to not only survive, but thrive. I think when we look at it this way, it makes us realise how Hashem is really looking out for us by sending us someone who can help us out. Just like Hashem plans every detail of our life so that it will be perfectly suitable for the specific mission we each have in this world, by placing us in a specific family, circle of friends, community, etc. We were put in a generation where research in this area is BH abundant. This is not a replacement or taking away from our relationship with Hashem but an expression of Hashem’s love. Hashem is putting someone in our lives to help us, just like He put parents and teachers to educate us, freinds to encourage us and family so that we can feel at home and have live in our lives.
    And, yes, still cry to Hashem and speak with Him every day! That’s the most important!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

You mentioned 2 separate issues both are deserving of a long conversation. Today there is no doubt more mental health issues than before. In olden days not so many kids survived and large percentages of women passed away during childbirth. That’s not a reason not to take advantage of medical technology. Secondly, Hashem wants us to grow by doing what’s naturally important for our Mental and physical health. We daven for refuas hanefesh as well. Daven that you find a great therapist and quickly resolve your pain. Good luck from a brother that cares

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

First of all are you a boy or a girl? I think it makes a difference.
    Secondly, as a person who used to think therapy was for the weak- there is so much stuff that’s interconnected and out of our control that we may never think of having a relation to the way we act and feel. A therapist is trained to help you understand yourself better and get closer to HaShem. I would say my relationship with the one above has only gotten stronger since I started therapy. So much guilt off my shoulder, so many things we think we need to control/worry about that are just not for us to deal with. The problem is we are not objective to ourselves. I personally think that going to a good therapist is a huge step in avodas Hashem and takes a lot of courage. In terms of money- it’s hard. Definitely pray to HaShem to help you find one that fits. For the longest time this past year I was looking for one and just kept hitting dead ends. I finally “stumbled” upon a place that fit my needs perfectly and accepted the insurance we have, to the point that the virtual visits are free! I’m not saying it will come that easy for everyone, but the Emunah and Anita him is a huge part of working on yourself. Don’t let other people dissuade you from getting help because of “the social standard”, especially parents. I wish you Hatzlacha in your decision and I’m sure Hashem will guide you in the right direction. Keep us updated!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author
    Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Something I do … i pray to hashem first before i speak to a therapist and tell hashem everything i would tell the therapist and i tell hashem please put the right words in the therapists mouth that I need to hear to help me feel better because the therapist needs your help as well hashem. ( that helps me feel better- like getting two sessions in one) and crying to hashem is the best type of crying

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to WhatsAppers's post #11051:

I think your response nails it! ?

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

AWESOME parable of the guy who didn’t buy a ticket for the lottery. With your permission, I’m going to use that for soooo many things! Davening to Hashem is so so so beautiful but I think this really brings out the Hishtadlus part of it. Love it!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Very well said ??❤️

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank her very much for her words

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!