skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile Photo
    hypercell57
    Participant

hey I usually have a whole bunch of ways of dealing with my anxiety. One of the main ones I use is distraction.

I have had a few problems with this. First off book reading has been making me anxious so I usually watch tv, a movie or play a Mobile game. This is very hard to do on shobbas, so my anxiety usually increases on shobbas, and sometimes I sneak into my room and play a game on my phone, which makes me feel really guilty.

Lately even tv and games have been making me anxious so I’m just always anxious and I have meds and I’m seeing psychiatrist and therapists and nothing is working and I’m starting to feel really hopeless. I also have a nice side of depression with this anxiety, which doesn’t really help. I’m becoming anxious over nothing, and it’s just becoming overwhelming.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant

Arghh this sounds so hard. Anxiety and depression, what a dish! Totally normal to feel hopeless sometimes, but also watch that it doesn’t persist. Have you ever tried journaling and or exercise? Ive found that to be helpful in reducing my anxiety. Journaling is helpful because your mind cant possibly write one thing and think something else, so if you journal about what your grateful for or anything other than the anxiety you won’t be anxious in those moments. And even journaling about the anxiety might be a good release. Shabbas is another story! I can use some good tips for that as well.

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

i agree with journaling and exercise. those are two things that helped me get over my anxiety. truthfully something that really really helped get over anxiety was trying to learn more. learning more about the strength of hashem and the good that he has really helped me get over my anxiety and depression, knowing that hashem is on my side and only wants the best for me, whatever that may be. by learning more and trying to daven more, my emunah really strengthened and i was able to slowly get over my anxiety. i hope this was helping in some way.

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

That sounds really tough. While I’m sure your therapist and you will work out a way to combat the anxiety as a whole, I have some ideas of things that might help distract you. I agree with what people have said before, that exercise and journaling are both supposed to be great at quieting anxiety. I also think that simple things like tidying up your room and focussing on your breathing, or even whimsical things like drawing in an adult coloring book and blowing bubbles (https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/anxiety-tips) can help. As far as what to do on Shabbos, maybe try to find a simple, repetitive game that you like to play, like jacks, or throwing a ball against the wall, and do that when you get anxious. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best with this

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

This does sound very very hard. Have you learnt or tried Mindfulness? I try to use and find that it helps. Just this Shabbos afternoon, I was laying in bed and my mind was racing with all sorts of things I can do. I tried to quiet it by mindfully looking out my window which is right next to my bed. It did help, but not as much as I would have liked it too. Another thing that might help is trying not to fight the anxiety. Take it for what it is and be mindful of your thoughts, sensations and feelings. I know this is ten times easier said than done, bc I have also experienced severe anxiety. But sometimes just noticing your anxiety versus being in it can help take some of the discomfort away. It’s kind of like observing yourself without getting too involved or pulled into the anxiety. Another thing that just came to mind is Paced or deep breathing. Paced breathing is breathing with a count of 4 in and a count of 6 out, or something like that. The longer exhalation calms the nervous system and slows things down. This is actually a TIPP skill which is part of DBT. The ‘T’ stands for Temperature. You can dunk your head in cold water and hold your breath for about 30 seconds.

Here’s a link that explains TIPP and what it stands for: https://peerguideddbtlessons.weebly.com/tipp-skills.html

I hope this helps you 😉

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant

In response to Chavy's post #5180:

yes i like this idea. A simple mindfulness exercise is just to watch all the thoughts buzzing and not trying to get rid of them just watch them fly around. This way you stay outside the chaos but you’re still acknowledging it…

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

In response to alwaysworried's post #5186:

Yes! You described it right on mark.

Profile Photo
    RomanticYente
    Participant

another thing that is alwsys helping to me is to move my body. just taking a walk outside and getting fresh air can be really helpful

Profile Photo
    Carver
    Participant

@hypercell57 Have you checked out the latest article? Seems like it would be right up your alley. Personally I try to meet up with friends or call them up whenever I need to take my mind off of things, have you tried that?

Profile Photo
    CTab
    Participant

My trick is just abruptly changing my train of thought or counting by prime numbers for a while. Anything really to stop myself from overthinking; although when it’s not Shabbat I’m always on my bike and that’s a real lifesaver.

HI @Hypercell57; Anxiety can be super tough to deal with especially at just seems to pop up for no reason.

There’s a DBT skill ‘building mastery’ which may be really helpful for you; it’s basically the idea of learning a new skill – whether playing an instrument, learning to knit or anything.

You may be able to find something that’s shabbos-proof too (maybe like a 1,000 pc. puzzle)

Best of luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!