skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

The following post has been transferred from a previous version of the forum @ okclarity.com

Originally posted by: razi I.

Hi, I’m concerned about my daughter’s significant weight loss this month in camp. She’s 15 and has been watching her food intake on and off for a while before this summer, although never been seen by a nutritionist. She is average weight and now is on the slimmer side since she lost 10 pounds in camp. I’m worried this is going in the wrong direction as Ive heard similar stories with unpleasant endings. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

The following post has been transferred from a previous version of the forum @ okclarity.com

Originally posted by: Fay Brezel, LMHC

Hi Razi, It sounds like you’re concerned about your daughters relationship with her weight, food, and body and not sure whether to wait for these symptoms to subside or intervene. Often times, camp and social pressures bring up a lot for adolescent girls and so normalization is in order on some level. Without all the details, it sounds like your daughter may be struggling on different fronts, one being her body image and weight and another being something seemingly unrelated. Intense focus on body weight and shape is often used as a distraction from underlying and difficult to express emotions and struggles. I think it’s an opportune time for you to check in with your daughter to see what she can share with you. If she is primarily struggling with knowing how to keep a healthy and balanced lifestyle with diet and exercise, a nutritionist knowledgaeble in the disordered eating field may be a smart first step. If the desire to lose weight in unhealthy ways persists, a higher level of intervention may be in order to help your daughter gain insight into what she is struggling with and to cope and deal with those issues in healthier and more adaptive ways.
    I hope this is helpful on some level. Feel free to check back in if you’d like further clarification.
    Best, fay

Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author

Originally posted by: razi I.

Hi Fay, Thank you for your response. I like the idea of trying to open up a conversation with my daughter to see what underlies her motivation to diet and lose weight. I also have never suggested her seeing a nutritionist so I think that may be an idea. I wonder how she’d take to it. I’m also hoping that once school and routine start again she’ll have healthier places to expend energy. This dieting phase tends to wax and wane so I would like to still keep close eye on how she does in next few months while using these minor interventions you suggested. Thanks for these ideas I feel like i have a small plan. Razi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!