skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile Photo
    MacaronPrincess
    Participant

I want to be my real genuine self but I feel like I have to conform to society because I have a fear of being rejected for who I truly am. How do I know who I truly am underneath the masks I put on and act on that? How should I know if I should even act on that? How do I know if it’s worth being outcasted by my parents, friends, and community through means of acting and dressing differently because my beliefs and life outlook are different?

Profile Photo
    Dana Rosenberg
    Participant

Hi,

Great question! If I understand correctly, you are pointing out 2 basic values here which are conflicting: The need to belong vs individuality.

Some situations require uniformity, and some have more leeway for individuality-while others can accommodate both. For example, you might live in a community where there is an accepted dress code, but there is still a range of acceptable clothing or styles within that general dress code. This is however very individual-depending on the particular situation you may go with one more than the other.

As a therapist who specializes in personality analyses, I can tell you that often this conflict is inherent in certain personalities, and understanding your personality will shed much clarity on this topic. Feel free to contact me directly for more information on that.

Good luck,

Dana Rosenberg

Enneagram Life Coach

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!