skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi,

I really enjoy writing and have submitted many articles to various Jewish publications but they mostly get rejected. (Most of my letters to the editor have gotten in, but not articles). I’m feeling very disheartened about it and like it’s beyond me to breakthrough and get in. Does anyone have suggestions? It further proves my perception of myself at not being “enough” and that my writings aren’t good enough for them. My friends and family all like my writings, but not the professionals.

I’d love to hear any advice or feedback.

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

As an aspiring writer myself, I completely understand how difficult it can feel to break through. I’m sure you are a great writer, and while I know it’s disheartening, don’t let that get you down!  One thing I often struggle with is revising my own work, and taking it from a pretty good idea to something that’s professional quality. The best advice I’ve gotten on this is to find one friend or colleague that you trust and have them give you honest feedback and then go back to work on it. Hopefully, this can push you over the edge from something I’m sure is really good, to something great.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your validation. After complaining and speaking to a good friend, she suggested that I stop chasing after them with my writings. She, amongst many others have seen them they all agree that my writings are great and have wise words in them, and that it’s the publisher’s/editor’s loss for not wanting them. I don’t have the mental energy to fix them up according to the exact yardstick they hold with all of their qualifications. Furthermore, I’m actually reading a book by Brene Brown. She talks a lot about perfectionism and hustling around to win other’s approval. As for now, I feel that I’m going to submit my articles to smaller publications and continue showing them to family/friends. I’m trying to work on myself to be happy with an article that is “good enough” for me. It’s just too discouraging and tiring to get rejected time after time (especially when I invested hours writing and editing the article both by myself and partially with a friend). Baruch Hashem (thank gd), my family and close friends appreciate what I offer in my writings.

Profile Photo
    Suave
    Admin

@chavy
    Sorry to hear that you are hitting roadblocks, but please don’t let it discourage you.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
    ~Maya Angelou

I agree with you that approaching  smaller publications and/or more targeted audiences may be a better way to break in. For example, you can submit an article to OKclarity or a local newsletter in your community.

Here are some email addresses of more popular publications just in case:

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi @suave,

Thank you. I tried most of those publications and was not able to get a letter in. I did get a letter to the editor in though. How can I not let this discourage me? I feel that it’s almost impossible to get in. For example, one of the publications has a section where you can write your opinion on any matters you feel passionate about. I wrote an article about Mindfulness, stating its benefits and my personal view on it, but it was rejected. The feedback I got (they barely give feedback) was that the article I submitted is about Mindfulness, a psychological exercise. (paraphrased from their words). But, I will def keep Okclarity in mind for submitting articles! Yes, my writing aren’t perfect and they can probably use a lot of work. But, I just don’t know if I have the energy for that when I know that there’s a sliver of a chance that it’ll get in.

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

In response to Chavy's post #5824:

I think that this is a great outlook. Why chase after them and try to be something you’re not when you know who you’re a good writer! Stay true to yourself and keep at it, and I’m sure this will work out!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Mitchell's post #5875:

Thank you so much @Mitchell! I think I will just submit to smaller publications that are either online or on paper and possible to OKclarity. Is it mean of me if I say that I wonder if some of the editors of the big publications are reading this thread? (In a passive aggressive way).

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

I love  your honesty! so refreshing. I totally understand your longing for recognition. I have times that i too wish some of the people who have caused me pain in my life would hear back from people who know me and respect me what they think about me to change their negative view of me. But I have yet to learn and still learning that we cannot change others and their way of thinking, the only one that we can change is ourselves. What a liberating feeling!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to avacad0's post #5895:

Thank you! Yes, we can’t change them, but i do wish they would appreciate my writings even if it doesn’t measure up to their high standards. It’s so hard when the ball is (seemingly) in their court. It leaves little room for our say… My psychiatrist once corrected my thinking of me being the victim (in a different scenario). I think I’m feeling the same way here. It’s so hard not to let it get to me..

Profile Photo
    DotingKishke
    Participant

it reminds me of my job search. I’ve been looking for a job since the beginning of the summer when i graduated school. The amount of no’s that received was uncontrollable. I had absolutely zero faith in anything working out for me. But, I just had to remember that for every 1 million no’s i was getting there had to be a yes somewhere in there. Thank gd, at the beginning of the year i found an incredible job that I love. In your case, i think you just have to keep pushing and keep sending all kinds of content.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to DotingKishke's post #5917:

Ya, getting “no’s” feels like there aren’t going to be any “yeses.” I’m so happy that you found a job you like even amongst all the “no’s!” I’ve actually submitted a writing of mine to a smaller magazine and they said they’re going to publish it as a letter to the editor which I’m very excited about. I may even send in a writing here!

Profile Photo
    Mitchell
    Participant

In response to Chavy's post #5925:

That’s amazing! Getting something published is a big deal, and mazal tov on getting something through to one of those publications. You just have to keep plugging away and the “yes”es will keep coming!

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to Mitchell's post #5992:

Thank you so much!! I’m going to try using smaller publications to iyH break into the writing field.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!