skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Fay Brezel
    Admin
    Topic Author
    We all experience mood shifts and changes; this can make bipolar disorder a confusing issue to understand.

When does this human experience become problematic?

Let’s talk a bit about the general guidelines of what can be categorized as bipolar disorder and see if that can provide some clarification.

Bipolar disorder can be described as a condition where one experiences extreme mood swings which include emotional highs also known as mania or hypo mania (less intense than mania) and emotional lows also known as depression.

During emotional highs people may feel euphoric and full of energy, while at the same they may experience irritability due to excess energy.

During emotional lows individuals become depressed, feel sad and hopeless, and lose interest in pleasurable activities.

These swings or shifts tend to occur in episodes. Some have these episodes rarely while others experience them multiple times a year. Between episodes, some individuals experience few emotional symptoms while others experience a total absence of symptoms.

You can see how there is a wide spectrum which can lead to confusion when trying to label and categorize this disorder.

Luckily, this is not the space for that- it’s a space for you – if you identify with these symptoms or struggle with someone you love who does.

If you or someone you love struggles with bipolar disorder, this is the place for you to connect with others who have similar struggles.

Please don’t get discouraged. Remember, this is not your fault and there is no one to blame.

Strength is measured in how you and/or your loved one approach and deal with this is issue.

Fortunately, with appropriate treatment, which includes a combination of psychotherapy and medication, the prognosis is favorable and individuals can continue to lead happy, healthy, and successful lives.

Attached is a recent article from Psych Central that provides additional accurate data regarding bipolar disorder.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this article and/or topic by commenting or creating a new post.

Support yourself and others by subscribing to this category so you can join the conversation at any time.
    Profile Photo
    LoyalYingel
    Participant

The same way no two snowflakes are alike, and thank God for that, so too, no two people have the same personality or life experience ergo no two bipolar cases are the same despite their similarities in characteristics.

My bipolar had highs that needed aggressive intervention and lows that didn’t respond to any treatment. It was baffling in the sense that it seemed to hide all sorts of addictions and personality disorders like a woman with a beehive hairdo. It took decades to straighten out a regimen of medication and actually somehow gave me tons of experience and insight.

Well some cases are like, what you have might be bipolar. Go home, take your lithium, and have a nice life. I never had the sense of my life continuing from before. My life, thank God, has changed to the unrecognizable better. I’ll write more on this later, if I feel like it

Thank you LoyalYingel for sharing!  It is inspiring to hear that despite the bumpy road, it sounds like you’ve come to really appreciate your process and who you are because of it.  Reminds me of the Rascal Flatts song “G-d bless the broken road”; sometimes the bumpy and broken roads are a really blessing because they make us into people who serve as blessings to others and to ourselves.

Profile Photo
    LoyalYingel
    Participant

Sorry for making an assumption but spoken like a person who has traveled a broken road.

No apologies necessary.  I think every person has his or her unique life challenges and in that way he or she encounters a “broken road” which they need to learn to navigate.  It is precisely how we handle the broken parts of life and ourselves that creates our uniqueness and individuality.

Profile Photo
    LoyalYingel
    Participant

What do you make of the concept of lived experience?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!