skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant

I find it very challenging to be in therapy while also having to juggle many other things in my life such as being a college student (exams, assignments, classes etc), dating, making time for friends, and family, working, and other things as well. I love therapy and really value it however, it takes so much emotional and physical energy from me causing me to not be able to be fully present in other aspects of my life. It’s like another job for me. I have thought about stopping therapy so I can prioritize other things in my life but I really don’t want to stop therapy. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to stop therapy but at the same time, I’m not sure because I still need it and have more to work through. I’m really not sure what to do. How do I navigate being in this position? What do I do?

I also just want to add that I make time for self-care and do things I enjoy so it’s not about that. It’s more like therapy feeling like another job for me and using a lot of space inside of me emotionally and physically.

I would love to hear if anyone else feels the same or if any professionals have advice.

Profile Photo
    Dana Rosenberg
    Participant

Hi Hope,

Kudos to you for all your efforts to live in a quality way. Not everyone is able to be as productive as you seem to be while balancing therapy, so really you are doing a lot.

In answer to your question: I suggest that you make a list of your priorities and number them. As well, write down what it is that you are aiming to gain from therapy and how it can make your life easier in the long run. You may also add what you have gained already, and how that enhanced your life already. Remember that therapy is not forever, but it might be important enough to keep at the top of the list so it can enhance many other areas of your life that are on that list.

Practically speaking, reducing therapy sessions from once a week to once every 2 weeks for example can be very helpful. Also, creating specific times and days to incorporate your other obligations makes it more manageable i.e Tuesday evening is night out with friends and Wednesdays is self care day, or however it works for you.

Wishing you best of luck!

Dana Rosenberg, Enneagram Life Coach

Profile Photo
    Hope
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much for your response Dana. It made me think about a lot of things.

Profile Photo
    millerjb
    Participant

I know exactly how you feel. It is a full time job. I have a separate calendar just to keep all my appointments straight.

One thing that helps me is that I schedule only one session per day. That way I do not feel that I all I did that day is therapy. It also gives me time to decompress from that session and I do not have to worry that I have another session later.

I am in the same boat as you with dating and working. It does present a challenge but I am to talk through my dates in real time with my team and then I feel that I am able to then focus on the things that I need to focus on like work etc.

Please do not stop therapy. It is to important. Stay strong and persevere. This may be something to speak about with your team of finding the best way for you to decompress. I see that you value self care which is extremely important. Keep up the mazing work that you are doing and remember that we are all here for you.

Hatzlocha and have a great Shabbos

Profile Photo
    rschwa
    Participant

Therapy definitely takes a lot of emotional energy, but thats a sign that you are doing the work. One way I think about it is how does therapy help me be more effective in everything else. A mentor once told me, if you have 2 hours to chop a tree, spend 1.5 hours sharpening your ax For me, therapy feels like the thing that sharpens my ax to go and be in the world.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!