skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile Photo
    snowpea2
    Participant

Hi, I’ve started therapy about 6 months ago. I go once a week. I really felt comfortable and was happy in the beginning. I am noticing now that i think I’m in a mad mood after therapy…it is possible because I need to learn how to think in different ways and I am doing hard work accessing my feelings. But I find that it is hard for me to be in a better mood….and I kind of need too be as a mother, wife and for my job ..any thought on this? How can I cope better,?

Profile Photo
    melissa
    Participant

Therapy is hard work and stirs up a lot — and that means that once what many call “the honeymoon stage” has passed and it’s down to the deeper work, it gets really hard.

Yes, like you said, this work is so hard… accessing your feelings, being honest about them. It’s the hardest work I’ve ever done!

It would be nice to take it easy a bit post-therapy, if that’s a possibility for you. Be extra kind to yourself. And acknowledge that you didn’t go for a “massage” now.  You did some real work and the hangover makes sense.

I will often buy takeout on post-therapy nights, and definitely take some time off (often later, after the kids are asleep) to just be and process what we’ve done. And just space out or listen to music or whatever.

Profile Photo
    I_am_okay
    Participant

I would bring this up with your therapist as she/he can help you figure out if there is something you need that you are not getting from the session which can be the cause of the bad mood. I know for myself sometimes I leave with this gnawing feeling and I don’t feel so good after a session and when I reflect back I realize something was missing and the next session I come back to my therapist and tell her and we discuss it and then I feel better.

Also like @melissa said therapy is hard work and can stir up a lot. The stuff it stirs up is not pretty and doesn’t make us feel good but just remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it will get better.

Good luck!

Profile Photo
    snowpea2
    Participant
    Topic Author

I really appreciate your replies… Thank you…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!