skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile Photo
    rikki
    Participant

anyone throws up when feeling anxious?

i usually throw up at least once a week; before every single therapy session (am in therapy for 7 months)  social gathering, meeting at work… any advice on how to control anxiety?

Profile Photo
    Climber
    Participant

While I do not throw up due to anxiety, I totally feel for you and how these situations can cause a lot of physical or somatic manifestations of anxiety…

I do not know anything about you, but I am having a wonderful experience with medication easing these symptoms so I can better engage in therapy and get to the core of problems.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

That sounds so hard and I truly feel for you!
    I don’t either throw up from anxiety, thank gd, but I do experience other physical symptoms, like feeling hot, flushed, etc.

In terms of advice, have you ever discussed this with your therapist? Maybe he/she can give you suggestions as there are probably many factors involved in this that I don’t know. It could be you’re apprehensive about talking about something in specific. It could simply be that just talking about things elicits that response. Either way, I would talk to my therapist about it (providing that you feel comfortable and safe with her) and see if she can suggest something.

I wish I could be more of a help!

Profile Photo
    Pmd
    Participant

I dont have much advice just wanna say that you’re not alone in this. I too can throw up from anxiety. I find it’s like when people get anxious before a big event they can get real physical symptoms like vomiting or needing to use the bathroom frequently. Anxiety can cause real physical symptoms. Difference here is that there’s no big event coming up but the anxiety and physical symptoms that come with it are still there. Being that you’re already in therapy try talking to your therapist about this. Good luck!

Profile Photo
    WhatsAppers
    Participant

There can be so many reasons why someone would be anxious about going to therapy! For me personally I used to feel worse with a certain therapist every time and only realized much later that she used to come close to me and I didn’t feel safe!!!
    Also it helped me a lot to realize that therapists are human beings just like me and I have nothing to be afraid of!!

-Anonymous WhatsApper

Profile Photo
    rikki
    Participant
    Topic Author

Just wanted to say thank you so much for your replies. Really validating! Gonna try bringing it up next session.

Profile Photo
    ysm1234
    Participant

I find it’s like when people get anxious before a big event they can get real physical symptoms like vomiting or needing to use the bathroom frequently. Anxiety can cause real physical symptoms.

I used to suffer alot from needing the bathroom alot when anxious – usually before leaving the house. I did alot of EFT with a therapist (and still do it on my own) and it helped me alot to calm the anxiety and the feelings of needing to go. I also did alot of exposure therapy with a therapist where I would leave the house despite NOT going to the bathroom beforehand (if the need to go was solely due to anxiety), and thereby train myself that the need isnt real and is just anxiety. I rarely need to go nowadays when anxious despite still sometimes feeling the need to go to the bathroom when anxious. I dont know whether this would work when vomiting due to anxiety.

Profile Photo
    Shmuel
    Participant

Hi,

I can very much relate! I definitely get sick and sometimes throw up in times of high anxiety.

By me its usually anxiety caused by things that have to do with working with other people and that if a fail “my cover will be blown”.

Unfortunately no advice…

Hi Rikki,

Good for you for reaching out about this topic!

Did you know that when someone is feeling anxious, there SNS-sympathetic nervous system is triggered.  This leads to the uncomfortable feelings that we get when we feel anxious; one of which is throwing up.  It seems that all the examples you gave, have a common trigger for you, causing you to feel anxious, making you nauseous, and throwing up.  Hopefully working through the anxiety in the proper way (with a therapist) will help you in this area.  It might be a good idea to bring this up in therapy, as well so your therapist can help you work through it.  Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!