skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

I would love to know techniques how people suffering from anxiety help themselves when they get these overwhelming painful feeling of tension and sadness. Any suggestions or advice what I can tell myself to calm these intense emotions?

Hey Avocado,
    My 3 favorite go to skills personally and professionally-
    1. Containment- have a set time where you allow yourself to think worry thoughts. 10-15 minutes.
    2. Distraction – get busy doing something unrelated to the anxiety. have 3 go to distractions-e.g. read, music, exercise, call friend
    3. Identify thought that is triggering the anxiety and replace with a restructured healthier thought.

Clearly if these heightened feelings of anxiety and sadness persist – consulting with a therapist who works in this field would be wise.
    Best of luck!

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you so much for your advice! It makes a lot of sense. I will definitely try to implement it. I guess the more I practice the easier it will get. Have a great night.

Profile Photo
    anonymousme
    Participant

I find journaling to super helpful. in the moment of overwhelm but also as a practice that helps not let my emotions escalate too intensely.

Thank you so much for your advice! It makes a lot of sense. I will definitely try to implement it. I guess the more I practice the easier it will get. Have a great night.

Great. Keep us updated. I hope it is helpful when implemented. Best of luck!

I find journaling to super helpful. in the moment of overwhelm but also as a practice that helps not let my emotions escalate too intensely.

Journaling is great too!

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you for all the advice and support, greatly appreciate it!  Identifying triggers is definitely something that is very helpful to me but sometimes those triggers are very unpleasant to face. So therefore it could take time to have the courage to face it.  I love the idea of containment. I tried it and will continue trying it. It such a powerful tool for the mind.

Thank  you so much!

Profile Photo
    d.f.
    Participant

i like containment too. Its a difficult practice but its a practice which means i believe you get better at it the more you do it. Like meditation.

I would love to know techniques how people suffering from anxiety help themselves when they get these overwhelming painful feeling of tension and sadness. Any suggestions or advice what I can tell myself to calm these intense emotions?

All these suggestions are excellent. Meditation may also help you gain greater awareness before the emotional overwhelm peaks and then you may be able to implement techniques before they gain intensity.

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant

Hello Avacado ~ Thank you for your post. I was talking with someone the other day about anxiety. What exactly “is” anxiety? It gets a lot of attention lately as a label but if you ask yourself, “what I am really feeling”, that will then help start to break it down. For example, fear, anger, sadness, frustration, stressed…..usually we lump a bunch of feelings altogether and we then either feel overhwelmed by it all or anxious. Same with depression. What is that? It’s sadness, hopelessness, fear, etc. I would suggest starting with paying attention to your feelings and listing them. just putting them on paper, one by one, gives you a sense of power, its like sticking a pin in a balloon. The next step is what are your thoughts that are connected with each feeling you’ve listed. That’s the starting place I would suggest. once you have your thoughts, then its time to look at retraining your thoughts. Just a tidbit to get things started – let me know how it goes!

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant
    Topic Author

Thank you! I will certainly try it and keep u posted how it’s going.

Profile Photo
    Dr. Joanne Royer
    Participant

How’s it going over there @Avacado? Let me know if you need a nudge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!