skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Profile Photo
    classymom
    Participant

Hello friends,

I had a thyroid issue that sent me into a tailspin with racing heart, and all the symptoms of anxiety which is where I am now. Taking Ativan, serious occasional panic attacks and general boredom and depression. Afraid of dying and heart attacks. Had 3 EKG’s all normal, one perfect echo and I should be happy but this anxiety is messing me up. It’s three weeks now and I see no end. Seeing a CBT therapist but how fast can it really work. Need help badly, so sad and weepy all the time. Just sit around all day waiting for bedtime- otherwise such an active woman running a non profit, well thought of community person and now just a blob on meds. Any and all advice or suggestions appreciated.

Hello @classymom,

First of all I would like to commend you for reaching out and asking for help. Your post shows me that you are not only sitting around and weeping, but rather you are actively and mentally seeking a way out of your pain.

That being said, anxiety and panic attacks can be crippling. It sounds like you are in good hands professionally, both with your therapist and with the medication. However, it does take some time for you to start seeing results. Right now, you are putting ample effort into “fixing” the problem and I would suggest using the waiting period to allow for some acceptance. Acceptance comes in many layers; there is acceptance for the struggle, acceptance of the desire to change, and acceptance (right now at this point of time) for the anxiety and panic attacks. If you are feeling up to it, there are some great mindfulness techniques that you can find on YouTube. Mindfulness often helps us connect with the “here and now” so that we can come to a place of accepting whatever is at the moment.

I hope this is helpful to you and that you begin to see the relief you so badly want.

Chaya Rochel

Profile Photo
    classymom
    Participant
    Topic Author

In response to chayasatt's post #6662:

thanks for your time and encouragement. I just can’t believe this happened to me from out of the blue. I can’t deal with this. My adult children are so worried for me and I hate that they can’t focus on their own lives and feel they need to worry. It’s all a huge mess and I feel very sorry for myself. My life will never be the same.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi @classymom,

This is certainly very different and challenging to deal with. Especially so bc it leaves you feeling confused and very disheartened about your situation. I would probably feel the same. And, at the same time, I will also echo what Chaya Rochel said but with a twist.

I’ve been in places where I’ve fought really and WISHED things were different. I was so upset that I didn’t have XY or Z and that made it worse. I was not about to let reality be and I was fighting it. But as I continue going for therapy I learnt to make room for the emotions/thoughts/feelings and triggers. I’m slowly learning to allow all that in. Making space for fighting reality. Let yourself view this fight as a friend. Tend to it and allow yourself to grieve, feel upset or feel any other emotion.

Looking back, this is the piece I was missing. I was just trying to “stuff” down the reality without allowing myself to actively feel my intense emotions.

Perhaps you can try this too? It might help take the edge off the intensity.

I hope this helps you 🙂

I want to echo what Chaya said earlier it takes a lot to open up and ask for help sometimes

That being said a very large part of the treatment for panic attacks is dealing with the emotional toll in takes on you when you’re not having them; i.e. anxiety about the panic attacks.

It may be helpful to learn some coping techniques to handle that aside from the skills you are learning that will help you overcome and be”H get rid of the panic disorder.

Life always throws us curveballs and the more we feel grounded in general, the easier it is to withstand the strong winds.

Hope relief comes soon!

Profile Photo
    Selfhelpbasics
    Participant

Panic attacks are very frightening episodes. It seems that it comes in terms of indiscriminately and randomly, and makes people feel helpless and lost control as if they were about to die or go crazy.

Panic attacks are exaggeration in the body’s natural reaction to fear, stress, or arousal. And in the face of situations that the body may see as a danger to the body, the body automatically prepares itself to respond to this danger by producing quantities of adrenaline.

And when the adrenaline is overwhelmed with your body, this may lead to a feeling of many physical or psychological feelings that may affect you during a panic attack.

Whatever your particular fear is, Barry McDonagh shares with us some tips and techniques with you over the coming days that will not only help you end these fears but also reduce your anxiety level. And Barry McDonagh creates the panic away program. The change the way we treat anxiety forever we are going to see a review of this program.

Read the review here : https://selfhelpbasics.com/panic-away/

Profile Photo
    Riki
    Participant

Hi Classymom!

Im a little late on this chat but I’m so glad to see something on panic attacks! I recently had a panic attack and it was terrifying.  I actually had it in therapy which was good timing you could say because I cant imagine how much worse it would have been if I was alone.

Therapy is an incredible journey of self growth but I don’t want to sound all preachy on you now because I get it – I’m actually having a really hard time now myself. Hang in there – we need each others support because I cant do this alone anymore.

Profile Photo
    Riki
    Participant

I’m also a mom and seeing a CBT therapist so 3 similarities right there!

Are  you feeling any better yet?

Hi!  I am just seeing your post now and I can say that panic attacks are terrifying and quite common at the same time.  1 out of 3 people will have suffered a panic attack in his or her lifetime.

As was said above, it takes time for medication and therapy to work however I am not a believer in waiting for suffering to go away, I’m more of a let’s figure out the long term solutions (which it sounds like you’ve done an incredible job figuring out a process for) and short term solutions to make life bearable now.

A few tips:

1. Talk to your psychiatrist about taking interim meds – sometimes psychiatrists will prescribe a shorter term medication in addition to a long term medication to be taken on occasion.  Examples of this when it comes to anxiety are Klonopin and Xanax which are taken for panicky situations rather than for daily use.
    2. Trick your body with cardio – when we have a panic attack, it can feel like we’re having a heart attack.  But it can also feel like we’re running on a treadmill at the highest speed we ever ran.  Sometimes it helps to reframe the heart race for our bodies by doing intense cardio and shifting the feelings away from the panic.
    3. Speak to your therapist about tools you can learn for in the moment so that you are equipped for daily panic in addition to working on the deeper cognition and feelings.
    Profile Photo
    Riki
    Participant

In response to Michali Friedman's post #9600:

Michali, thank you so much for your reply and support. I was touched.

Thank you for validating I should not be suffering short term. I agree. My doctor prescribed a relaxant that saved me on one of the hardest days of my life. It’s addictive though so I can only use it when I’m really desperate.

I am hoping this is all short term anyhow as I’m suffering from anti Anti depressant Discontinuation Syndrome. I did not stop cold turkey. I’m tapering off with my doctor’s guidance and it still happened to me.
    I self diagnosed Discontinuation Syndrome doing research online  as I have basically  every symptom in the book – anxiety, panic attacks, depression, wild mood swings, mania, loss of appetite, stomach pain, headaches, insomnia, flu symptoms and so on….

I would love to spread awareness on this because I was no where near warned enough how debilitating it could be. I also never heard about it as a mental health topic in general.

Weaning off anti depressants at an already stressful time in my life was a bad move. Like really bad move. But it’s too late to turn back the clock. I don’t know when this will be over. I think I will be a better and more compassionate person when it is.

But for now I’m just so tired of it. Physically. Emotionally. Spent. My mind will not give me a break and let me free.

Addicts experience withdrawal symptoms in rehab with 24/7 support.

I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms 24/7 whilst running a home, raising small children [love them but it takes everything out of me. They are so, so NEEDY and FULL ON and DEMANDING!!], working on my marriage, holding down a job AND pretending to everyone that all is regular. Fine. The usual.

Two disclaimers here.

1. I’m not comparing addiction here. I know its a whole different ball game and can be way worse. Please do not take me literally. But at least you guys have 12 steps, sponsors, rehab etc.
    2. I know I’m very lucky to have the above gifts but that’s the face I have to put on for the world okay. So let me be real. It’s TOUGH. It’s tough having so many people and things rely on you when your falling apart inside and nobody even cares. Just keep performing. Keep playing the part in your picture perfect life. UGH.

I have soooo much more to blab but I’ll shush now. Thanks for letting me take off my mask [love that one LOL] and be brutally honest.

Was so therapeutic to get it out in writing. Feel much stronger now.

P.S I know I’ll look at this post one day and be like OMG what in the world was I thinking putting myself out there like that
    So note to future self – “I need to do what I need to do to keep on going. I’m holding onto sanity by my fingernails and I get some relief when I write the truth.
    When I acknowledge what is happening to me in print, I can allow myself time and self compassion to get through this.
    No, I can’t just write it and save the document because I need to open up on some level as I’m leading such a double life. Okay?  Therapy is not enough anymore in this crisis.
    So self, please have compassion on me and do not judge me and do not be ashamed of me. I’m doing great”

And if no one responds to this post I will not feel idiotic and rejected.  [that was all a self pep talk by the way. Duh]

Michali thanks for not calling me Riki. That is not my real name obvs and I want to be as authentic as possible whilst protecting my identity in a public forum. I am so sick of covering it all up which I have been doing with all my struggles from a young age.

Thanks for listening if you made it this far! LOL. Thank you Fay and Rachel for providing this forum.

[Please don’t think I’m this optimistic, grateful person.  I wish. Just trying to give myself and others chizuk I guess. Or you could see it as a pity party. Whatever. Stop. Stop caring what others think. I’m  forever working on that one!] Okay now I’m really shushing J

Hello again,

It’s so my pleasure!  Yes, weaning off meds can be incredibly debilitating and unfortunately I have heard many times how awful the experience is.  I hope that your doctor is guiding you properly with the withdrawal symptoms and figuring out the right meds that can help you feel balanced in this incredibly unstable time.

And no worries with the comparisons.  At the end of the day, pain is pain.

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

Anxiety is very painful and very real. I can associate with it big time! As to taking your meds on a fast day, depends what it is that your taking some of them have major side affects of feelings of dizziness when not taken.

Profile Photo
    miramiles
    Participant

When I had the same problems I used CBD hemp buds.

Profile Photo
    miramiles
    Participant

When I had the same problems I used CBD hemp buds by https://berkshirecbd.com/shop/cbd-hemp-flower/.

Perfect results!

Profile Photo
    annonymous
    Participant

Hi,

I always wondered how people with panic attacks and anxiety on top of other mental health issues. Especially right now during this pandemic it is so difficult to express my own emotions and instead I get really anxious, and panicky. This even happens to me while sitting in the chair in a therapy session. Recently, I finally started going to my DPT therapist in person. It was such a confusing thought process that after starting my first session over zoom how is it possible for me to be going to her in person. It was so difficult for me to express my emotions because I was unsure what it really was that I felt.

Could anxiety/panic attacks cause someones face to freeze? That was the exact feelings I had and it was so uncomfortable for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!