skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant

I struggle with GAD, generalized anxiety disorder. When my anxiety is bad I wake up with awful feeling in body and pit like feeling in stomach. This makes my mornings dreadful. Anyone else have this experience?. Any ideas for morning or night ritual to reduce this anxiety experience?

xoxo
    alwaysworried

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

hi! yes I struggle with it as well. it’s really hard. but there are no quick fixes. when we wind down at night and we don’t have the usual chaos of our daily chores THAT is the time that all our unfinished stuff come haunting us to take care of it. going for therapy and dealing with the things that are causing us to stay awake is the way to go.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant
    Topic Author

hey avocado. thanks so much for responding. yes, i figured there are no quick fixes. It makes sense that the anxiety all day begins haunting me at night. Im thinking of starting to write down things/journaling in the evening instead of the morning. I also will consider resuming therapy if it persists…

Profile Photo
    anonymous
    Participant

Hi, I used to have nearly panic attacks(like body trembling,very fast breathing,sweating) when I didnt fall asleep
    and all traumatic memories came running! I’m in therapy now , and I can b”h allow myself to think ,and feel without
    becoming so overwhelmed !

I would not think journalizing on ur own is a great idea if it involves trauma

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

I did find journaling extremely helpful. When I would feel extremely overwhelmed I would resort to writing out my feelings. it organized all my many thoughts and feelings that were buzzing and not letting me have the inner peace that I crave.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hi, I used to have nearly panic attacks(like body trembling,very fast breathing,sweating) when I didnt fall asleep
    and all traumatic memories came running! I’m in therapy now , and I can b”h allow myself to think ,and feel without
    becoming so overwhelmed !

I would not think journalizing on ur own is a great idea if it involves trauma

yes i agree not a good idea if it involves trauma. Happy to hear therapy has helped you with panic and trauma.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant
    Topic Author

I did find journaling extremely helpful. When I would feel extremely overwhelmed I would resort to writing out my feelings. it organized all my many thoughts and feelings that were buzzing and not letting me have the inner peace that I crave.

Yes. I just started journaling a bit in the evening and I think it has decreased my morning blues. Now i just need to keep up the habit..lol…Thanks avocado

Profile Photo
    es1234
    Participant

Hey! I think that perhaps sitting down and discussing it with a therapist would be really beneficial for you. Together you can pinpoint exactly what the triggers for your anxiety are, and try to either eliminate them or develop coping skills to allow the anxiety to pass rather that take you over.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant
    Topic Author

Hey! I think that perhaps sitting down and discussing it with a therapist would be really beneficial for you. Together you can pinpoint exactly what the triggers for your anxiety are, and try to either eliminate them or develop coping skills to allow the anxiety to pass rather that take you over.

Yes. I have been in therapy. So i pretty much know the triggers and the coping skills that work well. i do think there are likely new triggers and perhaps resuming therapy would be a good idea to help sort things out. Thank for the support

Profile Photo
    Wandering Jew
    Participant

Anything weighted (i.e blanket, lap pad, shoulder pads, neck wrap)was helpful to me when dealing with anxiety; in session and out of session.

The proprioceptive input was very soothing and calming; a similar effect to swaddling a baby.

When in session, my therapist would help me ground myself by focusing on the weighted object that was on me.

Out of session, it helped soothe a friend who was anxious. It is not a cure, but it can be useful.

Profile Photo
    Chamsa5
    Participant

Stressful mornings can be a bummer, but I think people fail to realize it is very often related to the quality of your sleep. No matter how positive or proactive of a person you might be, you will likely be much less able to start the day off right with very little or low quality sleep. I would advise 8 hours or 7 as a bare, bare minimum for anyone over the age of 20. It’s not a solve-all solution, but it will definitely help a great deal.

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant
    Topic Author

Anything weighted (i.e blanket, lap pad, shoulder pads, neck wrap)was helpful to me when dealing with anxiety; in session and out of session.

The proprioceptive input was very soothing and calming; a similar effect to swaddling a baby.

When in session, my therapist would help me ground myself by focusing on the weighted object that was on me.

Out of session, it helped soothe a friend who was anxious. It is not a cure, but it can be useful.

thats so interesting! I’ve never heard of this concept. I’m gonna look into it ty!

Profile Photo
    alwaysworried
    Participant
    Topic Author

Stressful mornings can be a bummer, but I think people fail to realize it is very often related to the quality of your sleep. No matter how positive or proactive of a person you might be, you will likely be much less able to start the day off right with very little or low quality sleep. I would advise 8 hours or 7 as a bare, bare minimum for anyone over the age of 20. It’s not a solve-all solution, but it will definitely help a great deal.

Yes. that is so true. I’ve noticed that about myself. I strive for 7.5 hours and usually get around 7. i should strive for 8.5 and then ill probably get ideal amount. thanks for this reminder. lack of sleep definitely increased my anxiety in the past so it makes sense that getting more would be a great help. thank you!

Profile Photo
    avacad0
    Participant

Hi! what has helped me tremendously is the fact that i know that the anxiety is really a cover for underlying pains that i need to deal with. and the only way to get the anxiety to stop tormenting me is to talk about all my emotions that i have pushed away, as uncomfortable as it is.

Profile Photo
    anonymous
    Participant

Yup pushing away thoughts does not help!(at least not for long term)
    Getting it out in a safe environment does!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!