skip to Main Content
  • Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Rebeccabee
    Participant

Hi I’m new here and quite disappointed that there is no adhd category. Hope one will be created or we can use this thread. Anyone else with adhd? Just started medication and it’s overwhelming.

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome!  That is a great idea, to have an ADHD forum as you had said; there is tremendous need for support, understanding, and education when it comes to navigating the particular struggles of this diagnosis.

Starting medication is a process and I can definitely understand how overwhelming the experience can be.

If you have any questions or anything you’d like to share, we would love to hear from you and support you on this journey.

Profile Photo
    Chavy
    Participant

Hi Rebecca!

So glad you found this website!

I can relate to your anger and frustration and possible feelings of invalidation about not having a space for ADHD on this forum, but I’m sure you could continue posting about it on this thread.

Looking forward to supporting you and I hope you find this forum helpful 🙂

Profile Photo
    jaybee
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to OKclarity!! So great to have you here.

My name is Jaimie and I’m the social media manager for OKclarity! I just wanted to explain why there isn’t already an ADHD forum. The way these forums work is they’re created ‘by the people, for the people.’ Meaning, they come as they are needed. You can feel free to create any topic to cover anything you need to discuss. This can now be the ADHD forum–it’s great that you’re starting one!

If you have any questions, reach out to us! Send us an email at hello@okclarity.com!

All the best,
    Jaimie

Profile Photo
    Suave
    Admin

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the community 🙂
    As an adult who has been struggling with ADHD since childhood, I can relate to you feeling overwhelmed; here are some pointers that may help you adapt:

1. Most ADHD prescription meds like Amphetamines, Dextroamphetamines & Methylphenidates (Aderall, Focalin, Ritalin etc) may decrease your appetite, so make sure you eat a healthy breakfast and maintain a healthy diet.
    2. Drinking water is very important while taking ADHD meds, keep a bottle with you and sip often, a general rule of thumb for me is 40ml per kg of body weight per day. If you get headaches later in the day, dehydration may be the reason.
    3. I personally make sure to have a few days off the meds every week (I only take it on workdays and never on weekends)
    4. Safe & effective dosage is very important! Make sure to talk to your doctor about your daily routine and see if you can try slow-release options, smaller doses spread out through the day etc…
    5. Keep a log of side effects so you can see what causes them (like timing your doses, eating before & after, being physically active, other meds, water intake, tracking your sleep time & quality)
    6. Some doctors have very little experience with treating mental health issues, i’d suggest you do your own research prior to starting any serious meds and discussing it with a mental health professional as well.

The points above is what I’ve personally discovered on my journey – I am not a doctor and my statements should not be used as medical advice.

Feel free to share updates on your progress 🙂

HI @Rebecabee thanks for getting the ball rolling on the ADHD topic.

As has been stated, users can create their own forum topic.

Additionally, many “side” issues of adhd are covered in other topics in the forum so feel free to browse I’m sure they’ll be some items that you find useful.

All the best!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!